Join for free
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 12:19 PM

Who do you think you are .

Did anyone watch it last night and what did you think of it ? ..
I did enjoy it , I thought the last series was lacking the indepth , but they have gone a little further back again which is what made it a good series in the first place ..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 12:48 PM

Re: Who do you think you are .

Eliza the episodes seem to vary with some going deeper into history than others .
I think the participants state the family members they are most interesting in knowing about then the exploration begins taking into account the time constraints off an hour long programme

I did watch last night and PH seemed to do more of the searching himself than others have done .
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 02:09 PM

The last one I watched was Bruce Forsyth, and that was boring, he onlly went back to his father.
Mind you, that was longer back than most peoples grandfathers.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 04:16 PM

I do like this series and Ive recorded last nights..

I hope it is a bit more interesting that the last lot some of which were very superficial searches..

The one that stays with me is Bill Oddie, finding out that his mother had been in a mental asylum and that the sister he had always longed for had died just a year or two before he was born.. The pain he felt was just so obvious.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 04:26 PM

I think that the producers are always trying to match someone who is reasonably well known with some really interesting / unusual family history. Sometimes the result is rather tame and they are forced to pad it out a bit. The real problem is that they don’t know at the start whether their search will produce really engrossing results. Most people’s ancestors aren’t that interesting.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
I do like this series and Ive recorded last night, The one that stays with me is Bill Oddie, finding out that his mother had been in a mental asylum and that the sister he had always longed for had died just a year or two before he was born.. The pain he felt was just so obvious.
Bill Oddie's was the first, and best one.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 04:33 PM

This series could potentially be very interesting if it could lift its focus beyond the tedious "Celeb" level and focus on some real people that have contributed greatly to our history in some way.

Television has the capacity to inform, educate and entertain, as Lord Reith envisaged so this kind of format is ideal but as usual the "Celeb" angle is still being peddled by increasingly desperate, ratings-hungry producers despite the fact that research indicates that this kind of terrestrial TV program gets people reaching for the remote in droves!

My wife likes these programmes so I sit and read but I'd love to see something about historical characters in a similar style. stevmk2
Jimmy
Lancashire

14-08-2015, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
This series could potentially be very interesting if it could lift its focus beyond the tedious "Celeb"
The tv programers seem to be fixated with "celebs" now.
Although we never know who most of the so called celebs are.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
The tv programers seem to be fixated with "celebs" now.
Although we never know who most of the so called celebs are.
I hate the term 'celebrities' just who decides who qualifies for this term .
More appropriate terms.... sports person/ radio person / musicial etc and well known person of no particular talent
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 06:05 PM

I thought Ainsley Harriot was one of the best in that it delved right back to when his ancestors were slaves .

Im not sure im going to enjoy watching Jerry Hall ,her Texas drawl gets on me a little .

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top