Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 12:00 AM

Background Music

I know we've said about this before, but sometimes background music on programmes drives me nuts.

Tonight I wanted to watch a documentary about the Bubonic Plague in 1348. It was giving facts and figures about how many people it killed and all the time there was the most awful background singing and wailing going on. It spoilt it completely and was totally uneccessary.
I might have been able to shut it out and concentrate on what was being said, if it had not been so LOUD as well.
Why on earth do they do this?

I only watched the first 15 mins and had to turn it off.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 12:14 AM

Re: Background Music

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I know we've said about this before, but sometimes background music on programmes drives me nuts.

Tonight I wanted to watch a documentary about the Bubonic Plague in 1348. It was giving facts and figures about how many people it killed and all the time there was the most awful background singing and wailing going on. It spoilt it completely and was totally uneccessary.
I might have been able to shut it out and concentrate on what was being said, if it had not been so LOUD as well.
Why on earth do they do this?

I only watched the first 15 mins and had to turn it off.
I agree with you 100% Mups, and enough said
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 05:06 AM

As you say, why does it have to be so loud? We need the sound turned up as Sheila is starting to lose her hearing but when the music comes on I have to grab for the remote to turn the sound down before the neighbours start banging on the walls.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 05:28 AM

I completely agree, so very often the music is that loud it absolutely ruins an interesting subject, when mostly there is no need for any accompanyment whatever.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 07:06 AM

I wanted to see this program too Mups but missed it totally and now on hearing you say it was ruined by the background music maybe it was a good thing I did.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 07:19 AM

Yes, I've said it before that loud music spoils shows completely for me. I like to watch progs like Traffic Cops, Police Interceptors, and other documentaries, and then there is this awful noise that accompanies a chase for instance and has me getting wound up! I just want what is happening on the film.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 07:33 AM

Yes I totally agree , background music drives me mad. I also find the adverts are really loud .
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 09:39 AM

It’s an age-related issue. Young people can cope with the music and the simultaneous talking. They can take them both in. In fact they seem to prefer having two inputs at the same time. We also need to remember that there are more of them than there are of us.

For the record, I too can’t cope with the intrusive ‘background’ music which is too much in the foreground for my liking.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Yes I totally agree , background music drives me mad. I also find the adverts are really loud .
Good point Susan, I have always thought the adverts were louder than the program as well.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 11:09 AM

I have seen the programme you mention about the Bubonic Plague.
It is intrusive and the adverts are louder than the normal programme.
I have found that since I have got older and because I was a telephonist
for decades my hearing has been ruined. I therefore, get different
abilities to hear things and some high pitch noises. I cannot listen
to people in a crowd of others talking. I find it very distracting and
have to lip read or move away from the others distracting me.
Otherwise I feel like going home

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top