Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 01:06 PM

Re: "Afterlife"

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Wassa point of all that?

Was it a good read or not?
Yes it was!
It got me thinking anyway.
It's from a book called, The Bazaar of Bad Dreams". He gives an explanation before each story about what prompted him to write it.
I'm contemplating writing a horror story about knitting or crochet now! Each stitch contributes to a tangled web of horror as I think about people I don't like
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
I have many of Stephen Kings books in ebook form, but I don't read them as they frighten me.
Me too and I don"t like scary books one little bit.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I've just read a short story by Stephen King about a guy who dies of cancer.
He gets the choice of living his life over again, exactly as it was, or vanishing forever.
Ok. The precept here has implications.

Firstly the "choice" mentioned must be being offered by someone or something (a god or more superior/evolved being, etc). That being the case, one has to question the motive of that being and the relationship.

Why is that being only offering those 2 choices?
If the being has the power to resurrect a person, then the being surely has the power to make the person healthy.

This equally opens up the problem that for the man to have suffered cancer in the first place, that being must have sat back and simply let it happen. This suggests the being is far from benevolent.

In a universe where human life is controlled by one or more higher beings and illness and suffering are permitted to occur on a global scale, as well as death, then really that suggests humans are trapped in a prison and are kept that way deliberately. I don't think perpetuation of that situation is desirable and therefore the option to vanish forever is the right/best one.

Unfortunately it seems reasonably likely that this IS the situation we are caught in. The human race is effectvely enslaved already and being exploited on all counts relentlessly. Our freedoms are removed, our health is assalted on a daily basis, our ability to further ourselves materially or in terms of wealth is highly restricted and our life spans are massively curtailed from what they ought to be. Our minds are brainwashed from early childhood to accept the situation and to even suggest that what we perceive is not actually natural brings derision and disparagement from those affected by the conditioning.

I often wonder if the cows roaming in the fields, eating grass and generally doing not much at all, actually realise that their entire lives are enslaved and that they exist only as a source of food for a higher level of beings (us).
When members of the herd . . . . disappear (to the abatoire), do they wonder where Bessie went? Or do they suspect that they are all for the chop at some stage?

Surprising that humans don't see the same parallels in their own lives. We don't know why we are here, or who is really controlling us, yet we just carry on regardless accepting old age, illness, infirmity and eventually death as if they were old slippers !
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 07:36 PM

Oh for goodness sake Realist, it's not real, haven't you sused it out? It's a story and has the writers licence.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 07:49 PM

Blimey Realist - I am not going to think about it in that depth.

Yes, I would come back. The thing is though - would time have stood still and you come back in the same era or not. Time would have to be completely wound back I think. If all memory was wiped out of the former life it would be fine as you wouldn't know what was coming - although I would like to discuss what intensity the experiences of deja vu would be before finally committing.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Yes it was!
It got me thinking anyway.
It's from a book called, The Bazaar of Bad Dreams". He gives an explanation before each story about what prompted him to write it.
I'm contemplating writing a horror story about knitting or crochet now! Each stitch contributes to a tangled web of horror as I think about people I don't like
Sounds like you should read something else entirely and think nice fluffy things instead .
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Sounds like you should read something else entirely and think nice fluffy things instead .
Where's the fun in that?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2017, 05:44 PM

Problem with scary books is my imagination runs riot.. I still read them though
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

16-05-2017, 06:57 PM

Real life is much more frightening!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2017, 11:38 PM

I would choose to live again in the hope that I would make different choices leading to a better path or at least maybe with fewer mistakes. But of course different choices lead to a whole host of new variables some of which may lead to a worse outcome. So Tess it's so true what you say about real life being more frightening than fiction. We just don't think about it. Those who think about it too much are in danger of losing their minds. It's like that Bowie line from under pressure - "it's the terror of knowing what this world is about, watching some good friends scream "let me out"."

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top