Join for free
Page 2 of 55 < 1 2 3 4 12 52 > Last »
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2011, 09:50 PM

Re: What books are you reading now?

Just rereading "For Richer for Poorer" by Victory Coren.
mrmojorisin
Tangy Town, UK
mrmojorisin is male  mrmojorisin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2011, 09:41 AM

I have a great passion for 50s and 60s American comic books. I'm amassing a collection of hardback "archive editions" I'm currently reading "weird science" early 50s science fiction tales. Wonderful stuff. The artwork in particular is amazing!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2011, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by mrmojorisin ->
I have a great passion for 50s and 60s American comic books. I'm amassing a collection of hardback "archive editions" I'm currently reading "weird science" early 50s science fiction tales. Wonderful stuff. The artwork in particular is amazing!
How I wished I'd saved some of those magazines: Amazing, Astounding, Weird Tales ..... they''d be real collectors items now; as would my Batman comics have been!
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2011, 12:02 AM

I'm 1800 pages into Isaac Azimov's Foundation classic. There are 3332 pages and I'm getting bored with it. The writer jumps around huge gaps in time, giving the reader little meat to savor.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2011, 12:50 AM

Currently reading "Human Punk" by John King. I found the book (written in 2002) in a charity shop and was attracted to it for two reasons. Firstly, the main character had been born, grown up and ended up in Slough - my home town. Secondly, the title was also the title of a song by the punk band The Ruts, and I knew the Ruts personally as I used to drink in the same pub as them when they were living in a squat in Hayes.
Although my own youth was about 15 years earlier than the kids portrayed in the book, we shared a lot of similar experiences and I still recalled many of the places mentioned in the book. For example, the main character in the book was thrown into the canal (the Slough arm of the Grand Union) by older youths at the age of 15 - so was I and I remember it well.
The book is a very realistic and authentic view of young people growing up in Thatcher's Britain struggling for some meaning and definition to their lives.

Mick
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2011, 12:50 AM

Foundation is what I think of as "hard" sci-fi. I prefer the lighter sorts, like Anne McCaffrey's Pern series, or Marian Bradley Zimmer's Darkover novels. Or some of Heinlein .....
Janet225
New Member!
UK
Janet225 is female 

11-05-2011, 10:57 AM

Right now I have started reading the book “The book of tomorrow” by Cecelia Ahern.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

11-05-2011, 04:34 PM

People of the Mist .... a novel by H. Rider Haggard, he of She, and King Solomon's Mines fame ... not as good as the above so not surprised it's not too well known; but a good adventure in darkest Africa story.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2011, 06:54 PM

I've moved onto a very good book called "I Am Number Four".
A movie of the same name based on the book was just in the movie house. I haven't seen the movie yet but I'm enjoying the book.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2011, 07:06 PM

I've just started an Ian Rankin novel "Bleeding Hearts", which has started well. I enjoy crime thrillers and have just finished the first Lynda La Plante book with Anna Travis as heroine, "Above Suspicion", which I enjoyed thoroughly.

Page 2 of 55 < 1 2 3 4 12 52 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top