Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 04:44 PM

" Let Them Eat Cake"

One in ten people over 65 are around 1.3 million are suffering from malnutrition
and many live on their own
Dr Simon Gabe, president of The B A for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition says the over 65’s should eat butter and cakes to be healthy and ignore health messages about obesity, if you are malnourished, and throw slabs of butter on scrambled eggs. Delicious!
Although white sugar is not good, we all need some sugar which we can get from honey, fruit,
And Chocolate too.
Over 65s should not have to make more sacrifices, especially about food. Unless of course you have diabetes and have to watch what you eat.
In fact, that is the time to have as much pleasure as possible after a life of hard work
The Government should give the over 65’s an annual allowance for a free holiday. Especially as all
MP’ s can afford many holidays and Holiday homes as well while claiming all kinds of perks and expenses.
They have billions to give away on Foreign Aid some of which should come back to the UK.

Pro bono publica!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 04:46 PM

Re: " Let Them Eat Cake"

Yeah i heard that on the radio yesterday, so detached from reality, and they are telling us Austerity has ended.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Yeah i heard that on the radio yesterday, so detached from reality, and they are telling us Austerity has ended.
Quite right, Nom.

Most MP's live in mansions, and simply have no ideas how old people and people on low incomes or social security live.
If they came from a poor background they soon forget it and join the Rich Club.
They probably spend more in one day than some people have to live on in a week and the Restaurants in the House are subsidised as well as the wine.

I'm a surprise there is not a Revolution.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 07:08 PM

I read this too, Azure.
Although, l am not suffering from malnutrition, it actually reassured me that everything l eat now is good for me, ie scrambled eggs made with butter and cream poured on things! I don’t eat much cake or take sugar though.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 07:14 PM

Hi

I had my Flu jab this morning, I had to go to have a dressing changing, but it was walk in for over 65s Flu Jab.

I did not see any malnourished there, loads of Fatties though.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 08:48 PM

This is a really misleading message. There are malnourished pensioners but there are also many over 65 who are very well nourished and encouraging them to eat more butter or cake is not a responsible message.

My opinion is that all this stuff is ok to eat if you have normal blood sugar and normal cholesterol. The problem is too much salt or too much sugar. But if you are not malnourished and you aren't getting much exercise then eating a whole cake isn't going to do you much good.

At the end of the day though it's as the doctor would tell you - healthy living is quantity over quality (of life). If you want to enjoy your life eat what you like but you might live longer and be more active by denying yourself pleasures. (but not necessarily happier)
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I read this too, Azure.
Although, l am not suffering from malnutrition, it actually reassured me that everything l eat now is good for me, ie scrambled eggs made with butter and cream poured on things! I don’t eat much cake or take sugar though.
It's not that good for you but it's not that bad either. I don't have the study details but I did read a while back that they found that eating high fat food isn't too bad for you if you are not stressed when eating it. Apparently saturated fat is more likely to stick to your arteries if you are stressed out when eating it.

So comfort eating is bad if you have had a bad day and are angry. But it's ok to eat it when you are relaxed and happy
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 10:15 PM

I think you can be malnourished and plump. If you don't have vitamins and minerals your body is not healthy.

I just be happy to get my pension.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 11:20 PM

Then there is the other end of the scale like the man I was reading about in the paper today.

55 stone he is. Been in a Nottingham hospital since May. With his bed and all the special lifting equipment that goes with him he is taking up a whole bay designed accomodate 4 patients.

The hospital are at their wits end about it, because say there is nothing wrong with him, but they cannot discharge him because there is not a place available in social care.

So far, more than 70 non-urgent operations have had to be cancelled because they have no beds for patients recovering from surgery.

That is the other end of the scale. How to people not working even afford that much food to reach that weight?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2018, 09:26 AM

I think many over 65's are better nourished than the young, we were brought up to cook not open a packet or order a takeaway.

For me the 'malnourished' are the wobbling masses of blubber I see with trolly loads of rubbish in the supermarkets.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top