Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 11:00 AM

Saudi woman defies deportation back to her family

A young Saudi woman faces certain death if she is forcibly returned to her family by the Thai officials who guard her.

It's horrifying that the free world looks on while this deadly pantomime plays out.

How can anyone respect a religion thst dictates this kind of crap???

'A young Saudi woman who says she has fled her family in fear for her life has barricaded herself in her hotel room at Bangkok airport.

Thai immigration officials want to return Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun, 18, to Kuwait, where her family is.

She refused to board a flight to Kuwait City on Monday, despite officials stationed outside her room.

"My brothers and family and the Saudi embassy will be waiting for me in Kuwait," the teenager told Reuters.
And
"They will kill me. My life is in danger. My family threatens to kill me for the most trivial things."

Rights groups including Human Rights Watch have expressed grave concerns over Ms Mohammed al-Qunun's welfare.

"She has barricaded herself in the room & says she will not leave" until she is allowed to meet the UN refugee agency and claim asylum, Human Rights Watch's deputy Asia director Phil Robertson said on Twitter.

Mr Robertson said Thai lawyers have filed an injunction in Bangkok criminal court "to prevent the deportation of Rahaf to Kuwait", adding: "time is short & she faces dire peril".

Rahaf al-Qunun: Saudi woman blocks Bangkok deportation move -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-46777848
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 11:07 AM

Re: Saudi woman defies deportation back to her family

It's horrifying that the free world looks on while this deadly pantomime plays out.

What can we do ? we've fought wars to try and change these practices and still they go on. It's really up to the people living in these countries to rise up if they want change.

I feel awful for the young woman but what can anyone do to stop it ?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
A young Saudi woman faces certain death if she is forcibly returned to her family by the Thai officials who guard her.

How can anyone respect a religion thst dictates this kind of crap???
No one does respect this religion .
I don't see its representatives pleading for her .
And they won't .
maybe the UN council for human rights will intercede .
What a hope with it's make up !
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
No one does respect this religion .
I don't see its representatives pleading for her .
And they won't .
maybe the UN council for human rights will intercede .
What a hope with it's make up !
The Thai government have clearly co-operated with Saudi as there were Saudi officials waiting to meet the plane when it arrived.

She has barricaded herself in the room & says she will not leave until she is allowed to meet the UN refugee agency and claim asylum,
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 11:55 AM

Hard to know what to think here.

Primarily because that article is from the BBC and so I know I'm getting a hugely biased angle and only 1/2 the real story.

What makes this person's case any more newsworthy than the 1000s of other asylum/deportation cases? It is surely happening all the time.

Let's be clear, anyone seeking to leave Middle East countries and getting caught along the way is going to say "If you send me back I will be killed".

It is surely the defacto excuse that will be given.

I'm not trying to play this down or be heartless, just staying brutally objective because I believe that the BBC is a population control propaganda machine.

What are our usual thoughts concerning asylum seekers?
Desperate, dishevelled people with absolutely nothing who have walked long miles or taken long desperate journeys by car, lorry or boat to get to where they want to be. Perhaps I confuse migrants with asylum seekers.

This woman was on holiday though!

Then ran from that, booked a nice flight over to Thailand and allegedly booked a further flight over to Australia. It seems then she has plenty of money.

She also seems young, and completely computer savvy, having a Twitter account and mobile phone etc. So she's not stupid. Thus she would know that by even booking a plane flight and going through airport checks, she would be immediately identified and flagged up.

She patently could not have been trying to get to Australia by any kind of stealth.

It just doesn't add up TBH.

Now we are told that she's barricaded herself in a hotel room and is insisting on talking to a UN representative.

So how exactly is that going to happen?

There's a knock on the hotel door saying "It's ok madam, the UN rep is here you can come out now"

Would she believe it? Would she risk unbarricading the door to see? Can't see it myself.

This whole story stinks of being highly fishy and manipulated news and I say again, what makes this any more newsworthy than the many 1000s of asylum seekers all trying to get somewhere, getting detained and then deported? Answer. . . . nothing.

So what then is the BBC trying to achieve with this piece?

None of the above detracts from my sympathy with all persecuted women everywhere. I detest the religions or social systems which repress women and subjugate them. Globally that needs to be dealt with as quickly as possible.

Perhaps the powers that be are positioning to go to war and effect more regime change and these sensationalised news articles are there to try and condition our minds to then accept those military actions?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 12:03 PM

This is exactly why I despise radical Islam! Any country that believes they have a right to decide which religion people should follow, and any religion that allows people to be killed if they renounce that religion, should be rejected by the rest of the world!
I have chatted to a man from Saudi and he told me that, when he and his wife travel abroad, she wears bright colours, which he loves. When they return home, she can only wear them in the house and she has to wear black when outside, because the other people will reject her on religious instruction !

This young lady should be allowed to leave her country if she chooses not to follow their religion . Isn't she just being treated as a slave if they can tell her what to do, and kill her if she doesn't?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

07-01-2019, 12:08 PM

Couldn't agree more Twink

This is a religion of peace?
Peace my arse!
Where are the moderate compassionate members of this religion here?
Why aren't they clamouring for her rights?
Because she hasn't got any, that's why, and these people are quite happy about that.
Slavery rules and they seem to love it!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 12:14 PM

This is everything we hate here in Britain but the way things are going, we will have to get used to it.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 12:23 PM

Hi

No point in complaining about Saudi, they have the oil and the money.

Our Government will do nothing, other than continue to sell them weapons.

We owe them so much money they can do what they want.

Saudi have recently killed a journalist in Turkey and dismembered him, nothing constructive was done about that.

You can forget the UN as well.

Saudi is a member of the United Nations Human Rights Council.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Saudi have recently killed a journalist in Turkey and dismembered him, nothing constructive was done about that.
And that TBH is what these new articles are really about.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top