Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 11:42 PM

Re: Game of Thrones

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Wouldn't it be fantastic if Quentin Tarantino made a TV series? Now that would be worth watching
I don't know why you quoted me because you are obviously not talking to me.
I like watching little kittens playing with wool and stuff like that.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Thanks for the reply Tachyon

The "book vs film" issue is, for me, just complicating things.

Can we compare LOTR films with GoT TV then?
No - even as messed about with as they were - LOTR films are far, far superior.

Even though the LOTR films are abridged (because the books are so long and involved) the films were nevertheless pretty brilliant and faithful to the book and to most avid reader's interpretations of the books.

Is GoT acting and content comparable to LOTR films?
Definitely not!

Or is GoT just like the Spartacus TV series, a load of dumbed down tosh full of nudity to keep viewers?
That just about sums it up, Realist.

Tolkien was a genius - an Oxford scholar, professor of Anglo-Saxon, inventor of a whole new language (Elvish), and could make his points without resort to gratuitous sex, vulgarity or foul language. His style of writing is beautiful - his stories incredible - his love of language visible in every line. He had a fascinating and useful life.

George Martin writes popular but trashy novels.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Tolkien was a genius - an Oxford scholar, professor of Anglo-Saxon, inventor of a whole new language (Elvish), and could make his points without resort to gratuitous sex, vulgarity or foul language. His style of writing is beautiful - his stories incredible - his love of language visible in every line. He had a fascinating and useful life.

Well put.

I remember picking up my first Tolkien book when I was eleven and was enthralled. I've put them in countless hands.

It took all of five minutes when reading GoT to see that I wasn't the demographic (teen boys) . Apples and oranges to Tolkien, for sure.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
I don't know why you quoted me because you are obviously not talking to me.
I like watching little kittens playing with wool and stuff like that.
Go and drown in your billabong
Peter Jackson then instead
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
His work with The Beatles wasn't bad either
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 02:09 AM

I have never seen any of the LOTRs movies because I am frightened they would ruin the books. However I binge watched GOTs from beginning to end having not read any of the books - and I enjoyed it immensely.d

I don't think it is comparable to LOTR in anyway being more of a Machiavellian Wars of the Roses story with a few dragons thrown in toward the end.

BTW I have only seen one movie where I thought the film was better than the book - Atonement.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I have never seen any of the LOTRs movies because I am frightened they would ruin the books. However I binge watched GOTs from beginning to end having not read any of the books - and I enjoyed it immensely.d

I don't think it is comparable to LOTR in anyway being more of a Machiavellian Wars of the Roses story with a few dragons thrown in toward the end.

BTW I have only seen one movie where I thought the film was better than the book - Atonement.
I don't want to hijack but i wanted to add Shawshank Redemption to that list.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 08:20 AM

GOT is a classic.

Fair enough if you don't want to watch it.

Carrying on living in the dark ages.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 08:26 AM

Winter is coming
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Winter is coming
Nice from some with your user name

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top