Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 03:48 PM

Re: Five European Countries that should be afraid, very afraid.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Well I honestly do believe some here would like the French and Germans to suffer.

It would be like an economic atom bomb if the EU imploded because it would affect us just as badly as them. It's also likely wars would start to break out again.

Saying we got back on our feet after WWII like it was difficult is nonsense. We had a lot of help from the USA. That's how the European Union ended up being formed. They gave countries loads of money from the Marshall plan. It was not hardship. But it was never like it was before for any of the countries involved.
I am not going to argue Annie, but I think you have heard different stories to the ones I heard. Either way, if the EU imploding would cause such a disaster, perhaps the people running it, should learn to listen to their members to make sure none of them want to leave!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 03:58 PM

Twink my point was that if the economies all go belly up then we will be affected and nobody will bail us out like they did after the war.

I agree with your second point and I think the EU needs to take a good hard look at itself and be a lot more humble in its approach to members.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 04:04 PM

I agree with your second point and I think the EU needs to take a good hard look at itself and be a lot more humble in its approach to members.
On the other hand, countries receiving a lot of money need to keep up their end where the obligations are concerned. E.g. accepting their share of refugees/immigrants.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
On the other hand, countries receiving a lot of money need to keep up their end where the obligations are concerned. E.g. accepting their share of refugees/immigrants.
Hi

Merkel did not have EU Agreement to open up the Borders .
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 07:53 PM

You should not have them forced on you anyway.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
You should not have them forced on you anyway.
No, but once you have made a deal about how to devide their numbers, every country should stick to the deal.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 08:24 PM

No, but once you have made a deal about how to devide their numbers, every country should stick to the deal.
I could be wrong, but as far as I remember, some countries were virtually "told" to accept a certain number and several quite rightly refused.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 08:31 PM

I don't agree. The funding is not a bribe to accept silly decisions on all and sundry rubbish from the centre.

The funding is for the benefit of all member states. If one nation is enriched then benefits flow to other states. Surely you understand how the economics of the EU works?! It's not money for nothing!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

09-05-2019, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
I could be wrong, but as far as I remember, some countries were virtually "told" to accept a certain number and several quite rightly refused.
Which is why I have said that we should have learnt by now to stick two fingers up at decisions that do not suit us. It does not pay to be polite in such a game. After all what could they do to us if we tell them to Fork it when it's something against our own interests? Expel us?
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

09-05-2019, 08:36 PM

Which is why I have said that we should have learnt by now to stick two fingers up at decisions that do not suit us. It does not pay to be polite in such a game. After all what could they do to us if we tell them to Fork it when it's something against our own interests? Expel us?
Quite right Annie.

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top