Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 11:17 AM

Re: Chernobyl

I watched a documentary on the Beeb a couple of years ago that explained, although bad, the after effects from the radiation wasn't half as bad as was first expected.

Apparently people living in high natural radiation areas are more resistant to the effects than those living in low radiation areas.

And never mind Chernobyl, what about the effects from over 4000 nuclear tests that have taken place since 1945?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 12:39 PM

I don’t think l could have watched this programme.
My memory of Chernobyl was not buying Lamb, as sheep might have been affected with the radiation that wafted over to remote places in the U.K.

We never really hear about the nuclear disaster that happened in 2011 in Fukushima in Japan. Maybe, they will make a programme about that too?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 04:10 PM

I have just watched it with the fast forward at the ready.
It was very dark in the way that it had been filmed. It reminded me a bit of, Quatermass And The Pit, that was shown on BBC television, years ago.

With this series Chernobyl, I was amazed that no one who worked at the nuclear reactor wore protective clothing. Even after the explosion they just walked around willy nilly in their overalls and touched those that were injured.
The same applied to the police, firemen and spectators who worked and stood.whilst all the radioactive debris from the explosion showered down on them

I see, the actress Laura Elphinstone who played DI Michelle Brandyce, the one, that Kate told to, pi double s off to in Line Of Duty, was in it.
Also, that really good actor with a squeaky voice was in it.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 05:29 PM

I thought the acting was very good, you could feel the fear of the poor engineers who were forced to go to look at the damage. The bosses had absolute power over them.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I don’t think l could have watched this programme.
My memory of Chernobyl was not buying Lamb, as sheep might have been affected with the radiation that wafted over to remote places in the U.K.

We never really hear about the nuclear disaster that happened in 2011 in Fukushima in Japan. Maybe, they will make a programme about that too?

Hi

Here you go Art.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...lear_accidents

Both Level 7, but different management.

The simpler the organism is, the less the effects of radiation.

The animal kingdom is very unforgiving, any born with mutations would be dead very quickly and not recorded.

Humans are recorded, although exact effects of Chernobyl were covered up by the USSR.

The Japanese one will take a few more years to evaluate, when the young girls reach puberty.

Females are affected more by radiation than males.

Hope this helps.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
North Wales was greatly affected by it
On high ground sirens were going off for months and months and months

We got off lightly
It takes 20,000 years for radioactivity to deplete

20,000 years

In areas surrounding Chernobyl, birth defects are now so horrific .. not one, and I mean not one media company any where in the world would dare to show it

We have an annual scheme in North Wales now to home Chernobyl affected kids for 2 weeks

Those 2 weeks can add up to 2 years on their life expectancy
So based on that Rhian how come people are living in Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Interesting how that was reported in the news at the time.
The malfunction was blamed on poor maintenance of cooling pumps. Maybe true. But there were no (immediate) fatalities from the failure of the nuclear plant.

Yet there were, as I recall, about 10,000 unrelated fatalities resulting from the tsunami and that didn't make the same sensationalist headline news.

In my lifetime I can recall three internationally reported nuclear power station incidents. Three Mile, Chernobyl, and Fukushima. If IRCC, Chernobyl has the only fatalities directly related to the incident.

Compare that with almost 3,000 road traffic fatalities every year in USA alone.

Perspective......
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

12-05-2019, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Interesting how that was reported in the news at the time.
The malfunction was blamed on poor maintenance of cooling pumps. Maybe true. But there were no (immediate) fatalities from the failure of the nuclear plant.

Yet there were, as I recall, about 10,000 unrelated fatalities resulting from the tsunami and that didn't make the same sensationalist headline news.

In my lifetime I can recall three internationally reported nuclear power station incidents. Three Mile, Chernobyl, and Fukushima. If IRCC, Chernobyl has the only fatalities directly related to the incident.

Compare that with almost 3,000 road traffic fatalities every year in USA alone.

Perspective......
Are you sure about those figures Besoeker?
There were almost 2000 in Great Britain alone......

Statistics on reported road casualties in Great Britain for the year ending June 2018 shows, there were:
1,770 reported road deaths.
26,610 people killed or seriously injured.
165,100 casualties of all severities, a decrease of 6%
Reported road casualties in Great Britain, provisional estimates: year ...
https://www.gov.uk/.../reported-road...l-estimates-ye...

Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Are you sure about those figures Besoeker?
There were almost 2000 in Great Britain alone......

Statistics on reported road casualties in Great Britain for the year ending June 2018 shows, there were:
1,770 reported road deaths.
26,610 people killed or seriously injured.
165,100 casualties of all severities, a decrease of 6%
Reported road casualties in Great Britain, provisional estimates: year ...
https://www.gov.uk/.../reported-road...l-estimates-ye...

But you get my point.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

13-05-2019, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Here you go Art.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...lear_accidents

Both Level 7, but different management.

The simpler the organism is, the less the effects of radiation.

The animal kingdom is very unforgiving, any born with mutations would be dead very quickly and not recorded.

Humans are recorded, although exact effects of Chernobyl were covered up by the USSR.

The Japanese one will take a few more years to evaluate, when the young girls reach puberty.

Females are affected more by radiation than males.

Hope this helps.
Swimmy, Yes, it did help. Thank You.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top