Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 05:50 PM

Re: "If I had my time again...."

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
And some just impossible for mere mortals.
I agree with you there. I have yet to meet anyone who can successfully deal with any of what I have had to put up with when one person simply goes out of their way to be obstructive. Usually it's best to walk away but that is almost impossible when your own children are involved who will be hurt even more if that was to happen.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 09:08 PM

Um.........maybe not.
I always wanted to be an electrical engineer. Got there.
On the other hand, had I wanted to be the world boxing heavyweight champion......
There is absolutely no reason why you could not have persued a career in boxing Besoeker, how far you would have progressed would be determined by your physical and mental attributes. You obviously didn't consider yourself as world class material so didn't even try. Dreams are one thing, but being realistic is quite another....
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 09:09 PM

If I had my time again, I wouldn't do anything differently. I would follow exactly the same paths whether they turned out to be right, wrong, good, bad, crap, brilliant or questionable
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
If I had my time again, I wouldn't do anything differently. I would follow exactly the same paths whether they turned out to be right, wrong, good, bad, crap, brilliant or questionable
You can't improve on perfection Pesta.....
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
You can't improve on perfection Pesta.....

Perfection is sponge pudding or a suet pudding swimming in a pint of custard
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 09:36 PM

I'd change just about everything.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

14-05-2019, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->

Perfection is sponge pudding or a suet pudding swimming in a pint of custard
Not keen on Suet Pesta, but Treacle Sponge and custard is my idea of heaven......
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

14-05-2019, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I'd change just about everything.
Surely not Floydy.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 09:59 PM

If I had my time again there are many things I'd do differently.

At my grammar school I used to piss about, made absolutely no progress and completely wasted my time and good fortune of having been accepted for the school.
I opted for the Arts curriculum, whereas I now know that I would have been far better off taking the Science curriculum, considering my abilities.
I left with the impressive qualifications of two GCEs at grades 4 and 6, and one CSE grade 1!

Having worked in an office for six years, which I found incredibly boring, I enlisted in the RAF and trained in air traffic control. This turned out to be a 'dead end job' as ex-aircrew (grounded for such things as medical reasons) came into the job above my grade which, of course, limited promotion prospects.
Had I had the foresight, I should have gone into an engineering discipline which I think would have suited my abilities and interest much better.

When I left the RAF, I decided to train as a radiographer. I enjoyed this immensely and ended my training with results at the top of the cohort.

I later made the stupid mistake of thinking I'd like to teach; a big career change. Again, I passed my degree with the highest marks in my intake. Despite this, and probably because my advanced years qualified me for an instant pay grade advancement, I initially found difficulty in obtaining a permanent post and worked temporarily as a supply teacher. However, it was not long before I was offered an appointment in a small and pleasant school which I enjoyed very much - initially!
What I didn't know at the time was that the school began to deteriorate due to the influx of families of, shall we say, very little interest in their kids' education and a remarkable proclivity for making unfounded complaints about anything they could think of. I think we've all met the type!
Added to that, OFSTED inspections and the National Curriculum began to raise their ugly heads. Both, in my opinion, have led to a negative effect on the enjoyment of teaching. No-one likes incessant and unnecessary paperwork, dictatorial rules and undeserved criticism for petty matters when nothing worthy of real criticism presented itself.

Had I known what I now know, I would have remained a radiographer, though at that time of life I thought it best to stay put and make the best of things.

There you have it: a lifetime of silly mistakes and rather a long list of things I should have done differently.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 11:29 PM

I'm sure we all could have made different choices.
I did OK at school, got the required qualifications for university, did that, got employment in my chosen field.

I think the worst time was at the end of my first marriage. My wife at the time went doolaly. Ended up in a security ward for her own safety. Started divorce proceedings. My solicitor said her petition was so weak I could dismiss it. But why would you?

Difficult time for my children. But we were a team and worked through the situation.

I remarried. We worked together for the same company for over ten years. We did good. Now both retired.

Two phases I guess.
When you say went doolally do you mean she had mental issues or went senile?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top