Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 05:59 AM

The Onedin Line

Does anyone remember this?

I had vague memories of watching and enjoying the first couple of series - long time ago - so when I found it on Amazon, all eight series at a bargain price, - I bought it and have been watching it each evening for the last few weeks.

Was impressed by series 1 to 4. Well scripted, good plots, well acted. The emergence of steam ships and their impact on trade was interesting, as was the constant rivalry and scheming between the Onedins themselves. Not sure how historically accurate it was - but it appeared to give a good account of the dangers of life at sea and the hardships encountered by the sailor's families ashore.

However - like so many popular TV shows - it went on too long. It began to deteriorate in series 5, contrived plots, weak scripts, and actors that seemed bored by their roles. By series 6 to 8 it had been reduced to pathetic soap opera level. A sort of 'Coronation Street' with ships!

One for the Charity shop I think!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 07:10 AM

Re: The Onedin Line

Loved the ONl great actors and great stories

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top