Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 05:58 PM

How much water in your kettle

How much water do you put in your kettle when you want a cuppa. For some reason my husband ALWAYS has the kettle full and there are only 2 of us. If its gone cold it will take ages to heat up therefore wasting energy but I can't get him to change his way

Do you just put enough in for a cuppa or are you like my husband and need the kettle full, I've no idea why he does it, he does suffer OCD so maybe its to do with that.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 06:07 PM

Re: How much water in your kettle

Usually I have enough to make a small pot of tea - one cup is never enough!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
How much water do you put in your kettle when you want a cuppa. For some reason my husband ALWAYS has the kettle full and there are only 2 of us. If its gone cold it will take ages to heat up therefore wasting energy but I can't get him to change his way

Do you just put enough in for a cuppa or are you like my husband and need the kettle full, I've no idea why he does it, he does suffer OCD so maybe its to do with that.

I always thought that was a waste of electricity AND water, Queenie?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 06:15 PM

one trick is to fill the cup first then pour into the kettle. Then you have the exact amount needed to heat up, as per post above
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 06:23 PM

Whatever is in my water filter jug. Not enough to fill the kettle but just enough for several cups.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 06:26 PM

We have a one cup machine....it looks a bit like a coffee machine, but it boils one cup at a time, it can be adjusted for different sizes of cup/mug, we use the kettle if more cups are needed
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Whatever is in my water filter jug. Not enough to fill the kettle but just enough for several cups.

So do you keep reboiling the same water each time you want the next cup then, Jazzi?

I didn't think that was a good idea, but can't remember why now.

Hold on a mo, just found this:

https://www.thoughtco.com/is-it-safe...l-water-609409
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 06:35 PM

Usually I have enough in the kettle for two large mugs and a bit to spare. It annoys me if I boil the kettle without checking and find I have not enough to fill the mugs.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 06:43 PM

Have you ever tried coffee or tea DING????

What you do is put a cup of coffee or tea in the microwave and wait until it goes DING. then you know it is ready.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
If its gone cold it will take ages to heat up therefore wasting energy but I can't get him to change his way
But how much?
Less that 0.1 kWh.
Depending on your energy rate, likely to be less than a penny.
Not saying it's a good thing to do but there are likely other things you could do to save more.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top