Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 09:25 AM

Re: Everything New in Windows 10’s May 2019 Update

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Update completed OK - 3 hours for download and install - 30 minutes for PC updates and restarts.

I don't have MS Office on my laptop so I can't test it.
Why not tell it to do it at night when you are asleep? They warned me a big upgrade was about to happen and asked when would be convenient.

Personally I haven't had any problems with WIN10 thus far at all. I run it on two laptops and a desktop and they all up grade automatically (I do run M$ Office). I spent a little while turning off all the M$ things I didn't like but apart from that I am very happy with Win10.

I should say that I do run Classic Shell so it looks like Win7 however I notice that it has been taken over by Git-Hub as Open Shell and presumably is now open source.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Why not tell it to do it at night when you are asleep? They warned me a big upgrade was about to happen and asked when would be convenient.

Personally I haven't had any problems with WIN10 thus far at all. I run it on two laptops and a desktop and they all up grade automatically (I do run M$ Office). I spent a little while turning off all the M$ things I didn't like but apart from that I am very happy with Win10.

I should say that I do run Classic Shell so it looks like Win7 however I notice that it has been taken over by Git-Hub as Open Shell and presumably is now open source.
I haven't done it but don't you have to restart and click on certain buttons and all that sort of rubbish?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I got the update a couple of weeks ago by going to to the Microsoft site and downloading the Update Assistant tool. I didn't time the download of the files or the installation time but I don't think it took that long. Perhaps just depends on connection and computer speeds.
Was it worth it Mart? Has it turned Win10 into a stable OS?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I haven't done it but don't you have to restart and click on certain buttons and all that sort of rubbish?
No, does it all by itself restarts and all when I get up in the morning it smugly tells me what is new (or something like that)
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 10:02 AM

Was it worth it Mart? Has it turned Win10 into a stable OS?
I've found it to be a stable OS anyway LD. I haven't noticed very much difference between the previous version (1809) and the May update version (1903) personally, although there are all the changes listed in the page linked to by Omah. Maybe it just depends on how the computer is used as to what differences will be noticed.

One annoyance the update has cleared up for me is that Xara Designer (a program I use) now opens very quickly. I could wait for up to a minute for that to open. I thought it was the program itself but the Windows update seems to have sorted it out.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-06-2019, 10:11 AM

No, does it all by itself restarts and all when I get up in the morning it smugly tells me what is new (or something like that)
I see. Knowing Microsoft, it has probably been rummaging through your cupboards during the night to see what food you have in.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-06-2019, 10:14 AM

I've found it to be a stable OS anyway LD. I haven't noticed very much difference between the previous version (1809) and the May update version (1903) personally, although there are all the changes listed in the page linked to by Omah. Maybe it just depends on how the computer is used as to what differences will be noticed.

One annoyance the update has cleared up for me is that Xara Designer (a program I use) now opens very quickly. I could wait for up to a minute for that to open. I thought it was the program itself but the Windows update seems to have sorted it out.
I think it needs updating to make it a usable system, I know I am new to it but I hate it so far.

Thanks for the info though, I suppose what I have, couldn't be much worse so I might try the update at some point.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 10:37 AM

I think it needs updating to make it a usable system, I know I am new to it but I hate it so far.

Thanks for the info though, I suppose what I have, couldn't be much worse so I might try the update at some point.
I know I've mentioned Linux before. I use it for some of my computer time. Certainly good enough for using the Internet, e-mail, music, photo editing and other stuff. Some programs don't have Linux versions but there are often good equivalents available. Maybe you'll get used to W.!0 in time but if that doesn't happen, Linux is pretty good these days.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 10:47 AM

I got the update a couple of weeks ago by going to to the Microsoft site and downloading the Update Assistant tool. I didn't time the download of the files or the installation time but I don't think it took that long. Perhaps just depends on connection and computer speeds.
You should know by now that ANYTHING can affect download/installation time .....

As I mentioned, some downloads have been known to stick at 99% - mine did .....

Additionally, in my case the laptop is 8 years old and the internet connection speed is is via the 2.4 GHz band .....

Now that I've timed the Update on my laptop I'll be prepared to allocate "spare" time on my (younger) desktop .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 10:56 AM

Because I have worked with computers for 50 years and I know that if you "leave" a computer performing an upgrade/update it may well develop a problem. The last thing I want is to wake up to find that the upgrade/update failed 10 minutes after I went to bed .....

For me, far more satisfactory to peform the upgrade/update at a time when I am able to check (and time) its' progress, requirements and (preferably) success .....

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top