Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2019, 09:52 PM

Re: Ants

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
When I lived in Spain we had loads of ants in our garden, I used to watch them working, it was fascinating. How on earth can they lift what they lift. Amazing creatures.
Many years ago in Spain, I saw a line of ants cross the path, go up the wall, through the window into the Gents toilets, across the floor, up the opposite wall, through the window, down the wall and into the woods. All in one perfect line no more than three or four deep. I put my foot in the way and they just went over my shoe.

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2019, 09:55 PM

To answer the question though, I don't think ants are aware of how small they are unless someone lifts the rock they are living under and they see us giants staring down at them. Perhaps one day, someone will lift our rock?

Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Many years ago in Spain, I saw a line of ants cross the path, go up the wall, through the window into the Gents toilets, across the floor, up the opposite wall, through the window, down the wall and into the woods. All in one perfect line no more than three or four deep. I put my foot in the way and they just went over my shoe.

To answer the question though, I don't think ants are aware of how small they are unless someone lifts the rock they are living under and they see us giants staring down at them. Perhaps one day, someone will lift our rock?

Brilliant! Go ants, go!

Ants aren't self-aware, so I doubt they know how small they are.
They work by collective instinct, and must keep going, dictated to by their pheromones and hive drive.
A bit like soldiers going over the top in WW1, they keep going, despite their vanguards being mown down, because they are 'told' to.

It's all relative, anyway. If something is soooooo very much bigger than you, you just don't see it, do you?

A bit like humans and the cosmos, really.
Our solar system could just be atoms in a molecule, part of a gigantic cell, one of many cells in an even more gigantic organism, but we wouldn't have a clue, would we?

Maybe we are all sub-atomic particles, with even smaller universes within our own cells; Russian dolls of universes, one within another ..............

(I have brain-ache now).
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 07:12 AM

Yep, we will never know why creatures do what they do, and what their antics are.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Yep, we will never know why creatures do what they do, and what their antics are.
Why did I not anticipate that remark?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 07:21 AM

You should have, the technique is well antiquated.
Pyxell
South of England

23-06-2019, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
You should have, the technique is well antiquated.
True......I think I have an anthology somewhere......
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

23-06-2019, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Brilliant! Go ants, go!

Ants aren't self-aware, so I doubt they know how small they are.
They work by collective instinct, and must keep going, dictated to by their pheromones and hive drive.
A bit like soldiers going over the top in WW1, they keep going, despite their vanguards being mown down, because they are 'told' to.

It's all relative, anyway. If something is soooooo very much bigger than you, you just don't see it, do you?

A bit like humans and the cosmos, really.
Our solar system could just be atoms in a molecule, part of a gigantic cell, one of many cells in an even more gigantic organism, but we wouldn't have a clue, would we?

Maybe we are all sub-atomic particles, with even smaller universes within our own cells; Russian dolls of universes, one within another ..............

(I have brain-ache now).
I have always thought that we could be dust in someone's pocket.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

23-06-2019, 07:30 AM

I bet it includes Anthony and Cleopatra.
Pyxell
South of England

23-06-2019, 07:31 AM

I have always thought that we could be dust in someone's pocket.
Yup! You've got it!
Little specks of insignificance with delusions of grandeur!

Just wait until the Great Cosmic Hoover arrives!

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top