Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 04:00 AM

Re: The News

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I am so glad our birth daughters are highly intelligent, my husband was an academic before his brain haemorrhage, therefore academic prowess was top of the agender in our home when they were young.
Which agender was that? I thought there were only two genders.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 04:08 AM

At a camp out on the lawn one day with two of my grandchildren Jack, (aged 6 then) said "Grandad, how does gravity work?" I'm still thinking about it 6 years later!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 05:33 AM

Ciderman, I've been meaning to answer Jack's brilliant question!

If you want to show the boys, get all three of you plus mom or dad stretch out a flexible blanket and put a fairly ball in the middle of it. Explain to them that gravity is really not a force but a thing - the curvature of space/time which is represented by the bending of the blanket.

Next, put another smaller ball (say a tennis ball) in the blanket by rolling it in a wide arc near the top of the blanket and let them watch what happens. The ball also bends space/time because it has mass, but it ends up next to the first ball because the first ball has a lot of mass. Also try rolling the ball a few times so they can see the ball bending space/time by watching the ball moving from underneath the blanket.

Finally, put a large coin, flat on the blanket near the top. Is there curvature of the blanket (gravity)? There sure is! It just has so little mass that it doesn't slide towards the big ball. Put it very close, and it does! Gravity is dependent on mass and distance.

Hopefully that is a simple enough answer for a very sophisticated question!

I hope you all are saving for university funds. There are some very, very bright forum grandchildren!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 06:51 AM

Hi

The dreaded question.

Why does Guy have a Willie and I do not?

We survive the answer, the Human Race does not become extinct.

A simple answer is all they need, they work the rest out for themselves
That is life, that is how the Human Race continues.

Nadi is now a young lady, no more diving naked into the bath.

That is how it should be, she is in charge of her body.

Grandad, Daddy, brother and others, including me, are out of it.

I am so,so proud of her for that.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top