Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 12:06 AM

public speaking

have you ever had to do public speaking? not just classroom stuff but a hall full of people ?

Me ? no, thank goodness that would scare me to death, even though with BT we were taught a couple of tricks on how to do it.

That was a time when BT decided engineers were a good way to promote BT products.Needless to say that idea was a total flop (big time). Us engineers just wanted to do our jobs and leave the selling to people in that dept.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just another crazy idea BT came up with from time to time.

Just have to mention to give you a laugh about the time private telecoms companies could install switchboards in firms.

Great let the customers have a choice, OOOPS another cockup

What happened was BT installed the lines up to a junction box within the firms and the private companies installed their own junction box.

Yes you guessed it BT were not allowed into the private telephone junction box and visa versa with the private tele company

So there was a firm with telephone lines and a switchboard with extns and nothing connected up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

then came in electronic switchboards, So what was wrong with that?

Banks/ building societies etc were having music on hold and the music playing was "THE STING."

OOh the complaints came in thick and fast so all the chips had to be changed, think it was to greensleeves as the alternative
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 08:17 AM

Re: public speaking

I have done a lot of public speaking in my time. People are kind enough to say they enjoy my presentations.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 08:20 AM

Never in a million years, I would hate all that attention, everyone looking at me! Heck, no thanks.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 08:27 AM

Yes I've done public speaking , it's scary but exciting at the same time. Strangely enough the time flies by .
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 08:36 AM

I,ve done quite a lot of public speaking. I have given talks on the history of the New Forest at our local village hall and for twenty one years was quizmaster at a local club.
Sadly age has the last say and I have given up both
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 08:51 AM

It wouldn't have bothered me when I was young. I used to be in a dramatic society.

However, as I've aged I've lost my confidence & would be scared witless if I had to stand before an audience & give a speech.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 09:05 AM

Some of my audiences have literally run into millions, as I have had several TV appearances, which were quite interesting.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 09:07 AM

Im similar to you Carol years ago i used to think nothing of standing up in front of large numbers of people and doing presentations but blimey if someone asked me to do it now I would run and hide

Both my daughter and my Son are good public speakers.... daughter in particular.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 09:24 AM

I’ve not really done public speaking to a lot of people, I used to have to show how the new laundry equipment worked to maybe half a dozen people, but not so much now, as I don’t know how half the stuff works, as we get no training, so I’m sometimes as much in the dark as the customers, I might not be too bad if I had to stand up and speak to a room full of people, of course it’s easy to say now, but if I really had to.....
Incidentally realspeed, we have to submit sales leads, as part of our job, and job bonus..yes you get paid, and money is loaded onto a credit card, some engineers are good at it, one has reached the maximum on his card( £3000) and they’ve had to give him another card!, me, and a few others maintain that if we want a selling job, we’d go and find one, just one of the reasons why I want out...
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Some of my audiences have literally run into millions, as I have had several TV appearances, which were quite interesting.
That's really interesting, Tara.
May I ask what is your subject?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top