Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 10:37 AM

Re: public speaking

I have worked for the WJEC examination board over many years.
I have done presentations in some of their Conferences in front of large numbers of delegates. I get nervous still but I prepare really thoroughly so there is no room for error.
I even relax in to it once I've started (that took a while) and it's a great feeling knowing you are engaging minds and even amusing them!

Once I sit back down I'm a bit buzzing for a while... but I think that's the adrenaline still pumping around my system
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 11:24 AM

I did a bit of that when I was in the WI, not too bad as I knew some of the people in the audience. It was fun.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 11:30 AM

I can talk to anyone. I can walk into a room full of strangers, chat to one or two or a small group. It doesn’t phase me.

Yet, put me up on a stage and ask me to do a talk or a speech to a large audience and l would die on the spot.
Yet, my brother can speak at conferences and not even flinch but then again, he loves the sound of his own voice!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
That's really interesting, Tara.
May I ask what is your subject?

Most of my public speaking has been about my childhood, which was rather different to that of many others. My exploits could have ended in my demise on many occasions, not that anything has changed now my second childhood is upon me.

My first TV appearance was on 'You've been framed' in the early 90s when Jeremy Beagle was the host. I had sent in a remarkable video of one of our cats dancing around with a dog biscuit box on its head. I was asked to bring the cat to the studio, where it was given its own dressing room. It was an interesting experience.

Our previous property hosted activity of the 'paranormal' kind on a daily basis for 11 of the 15 years we lived there. It was remarkable to say the very least, and attracted a lot of attention. Even the Foreign Office commissioned a film about it. I hasten to add that my husband and I still think there was a natural explanation for all the weird goings on.

I was an invited guest on the 'This Morning show' when I was asked to talk about the activity.

I have been interviewed quite a number of times on the Radio too.

I was invited to take part in the BBC Politics Show relating to my roll as a carer. After our birth daughters were born we adopted two boys with learning difficulties, the younger one has Down's Syndrome. We also fostered a teenager with DS. Then in 2006 my husband had his devastating brain haemorrhage, and I became his official carer. Not that he regards me as such, he doesn't reckon he is in need of one.

Well at least it made my life quite interesting.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 11:45 AM

Yes I have
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Most of my public speaking has been about my childhood, which was rather different to that of many others. My exploits could have ended in my demise on many occasions, not that anything has changed now my second childhood is upon me.

My first TV appearance was on 'You've been framed' in the early 90s when Jeremy Beagle was the host. I had sent in a remarkable video of one of our cats dancing around with a dog biscuit box on its head. I was asked to bring the cat to the studio, where it was given its own dressing room. It was an interesting experience.

Our previous property hosted activity of the 'paranormal' kind on a daily basis for 11 of the 15 years we lived there. It was remarkable to say the very least, and attracted a lot of attention. Even the Foreign Office commissioned a film about it. I hasten to add that my husband and I still think there was a natural explanation for all the weird goings on.

I was an invited guest on the 'This Morning show' when I was asked to talk about the activity.

I have been interviewed quite a number of times on the Radio too.

I was invited to take part in the BBC Politics Show relating to my roll as a carer. After our birth daughters were born we adopted two boys with learning difficulties, the younger one has Down's Syndrome. We also fostered a teenager with DS. They in 2006 my husband had his devastating brain haemorrhage, and I became his official carer. Not that he regards me as such, he doesn't reckon he is in need of one.

Well at least it made my life quite interesting.
Thanks for your answer, it's all so interesting
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Thanks for your answer, it's all so interesting
Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top