Join for free
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2010, 01:52 PM

Took a look at IPads

I must admit I'm a Techie. I have 3 computers, a custom built powerful desktop, a Toshiba Satellite laptop & an Acer Aspire One netbook. Still, the Apple IPad is the new kid on the block so I had to investigate.

After reading the reviews and specs I'm staying away. It seems to be nothing but a glorified IPhone. Sure the unique look & feel are nice but how does it stack up against my simple netbook. The Aspire One has a good sized hard drive, multiple USB ports, an onboard camera & microphone & an SD memory card reader used by my cameras.

The IPad, at $500, has no hard drive but 16Gig of memory, no camera, and no USB ports. It doesn't even have an SD card reader. At $200 more than the Acer Aspire One I can't justify that extra cash for added bling(cool touchy feely) for an inferior product. I can buy a lot of books for my netbook for that $200 and easily load & save & edit my photos as well.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2010, 02:57 PM

Re: Took a look at IPads

Wise decision Bob, . . . some of them mobile phones with web access can cost you an arm ans a leg too.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2010, 03:17 PM

I think it depends on what you want it for.

I would love to have a device where I can read ebooks in bed, on the train, in the car, on the loo even along with being able to browse the web send receive email etc. And the iPad is ideal for that as it is the perfect size/weight. (tho it does not have flash support)

It would also be ideal for taking on hols if you just wanted to have web/email access

You just need to bear in mind that it's not a computer but more a mobile device designed for specific tasks.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2010, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I think it depends on what you want it for.

I would love to have a device where I can read ebooks in bed, on the train, in the car, on the loo even along with being able to browse the web send receive email etc. And the iPad is ideal for that as it is the perfect size/weight. (tho it does not have flash support)

It would also be ideal for taking on hols if you just wanted to have web/email access

You just need to bear in mind that it's not a computer but more a mobile device designed for specific tasks.
Your points are all valid Azz but mine revolved around the IPad's shortcomings for the price. A netbook can do everything the IPad can do, and more, for half the price.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2010, 07:29 PM

Ive only just braved this thread for fear it might be a chat on cyber sanitary wear for ladies lol
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2010, 10:41 PM

lol @ Cassie!

Bob - the thing that netbooks can't do is give you the sleek interface and dimensions of the iPad, or the immediate boot-up, or access to the apps on the app store.

One things for sure, it is pretty costly - and you could get a (windows) laptop for the same price... but it all boils down to what you want
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2010, 02:31 AM

I've read quite a few the reviews and would love to have one as it seems to do all I'd want, but I don't think it will work unless you have a connection other than dial up ......
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2010, 12:37 PM

Fingers crossed here!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top