Join for free
Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 03:12 PM

Re: Personalised number plates

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I don't think it has anything to do with the character of the owner of the plate or how "nice" they are. But I do think it is a "Look at me" thing. I mean why else would you bother to do it?. What annoys me more is the little happy families stickers on the back window. You know those? ..."I thought you need to know that I have three kids and a dog and we are all happy all the time"..Like I care??..You are just the car in front of me..that's it. Sheesh.
I have just bought a 'DOG ON BOARD' sticker for my rear screen but it's more to explain why I am driving so slow.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 04:21 PM

why put "baby on board" in the back window of a car? who driving behind cares if they have a baby on not, Nothing special, all families have a baby at some time or other.

Actually more dangerous having it as some drivers may have to get close behind to read it

My number plate has been on several cars I have owned in the past and to be honest I don't give a **** what others think had it for too many years to worry about it. Think the DVLA released it around about 1984 for sale which is when I bought it
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have just bought a 'DOG ON BOARD' sticker for my rear screen but it's more to explain why I am driving so slow.

Oh boy, could I have fun making a sticker for your back window, Dongle.

Actually, that would make a good new thread, if I could be bothered.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 04:46 PM

Saw a range rover with the number plate Arsole but I dont remember the numbers and letters anyone help with this one ?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 04:53 PM

A*5 0LE can't fathom out the letter R is as a number 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 or0 nearest is the letter 4 is my guess

Show plates really mess up legit plates and illegal on the road
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 04:56 PM

Thanks realspeed . I was on a coach when it passed and clearly read it asking myself why anyone would like that on his or her car .
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 05:04 PM

One downside of having a personalised number plate though, this is from local police following such a theft. Any professional car thief who steals a car with personalised number plates will, as soon as possible, even just round the corner, change those for other number plates with a regular number. It's just too recognisable to drive it very far with personalised number plates, too many people may notice it and who's driving. Once that is done it's 'unrecognisable' as far as the number plate goes. It may then be on cloned false number plates but nobody would know that, it would not be picked up by ANPR cameras either.

A car stolen that has regular number plates may be picked up by ANPR cameras some time after the theft, by then though it could be miles and miles away. Or even without any chance of being picked up by ANPR, locked up in a garage or at the docks waiting to be shipped abroad.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 06:04 PM

chance of being picked up by ANPR, locked up in a garage or at the docks waiting to be shipped abroad.

If it’s going to be shipped abroad suggests it has been stolen to order, usually expensive or rare cars, and those sort of cars usually have trackers fitted
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
chance of being picked up by ANPR, locked up in a garage or at the docks waiting to be shipped abroad.

If it’s going to be shipped abroad suggests it has been stolen to order, usually expensive or rare cars, and those sort of cars usually have trackers fitted
Yes, it was an expensive car and reckoned to have been stolen to order. It was one of the types of cars with models that have 'keyless ignition' and we all mostly know how that is bypassed. It didn't have a tracker fitted, unfortunately. These are just the kinds of cars that have personalised number plates though. The car was never recovered.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 07:17 PM

why put "baby on board" in the back window of a car? who driving behind cares if they have a baby on not, Nothing special, all families have a baby at some time or other.

Realspeed, my understanding is that the original thinking behind the "baby on board" sticker was to alert the emergency services of the fact in the case of an accident/fire, etc.

Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top