Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
macywack
north west, england
macywack is male  macywack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 06:46 PM

Re: Feeding the container plants.

I have a lot of shrubs in containers, at the begining of the year i put blood fish and bone on the surface, and about now each week a water with tomato liquid mix, to keep it easy
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2021, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Carol when first planting I use Rootgrow Mycorrhizal Fungi and organic Organic fish blood and bone.

In the spring I put some Wilko Growmore Plant Food on shrubs and flowers,
Vegetables I use organic fish blood and bone when first planting then liquid seaweed,
Strawberries/raspberries I use seaweed liquid and Tomato food once the flowers appear.
That mycorrhizal fungi is such help, but I have never heard of the seaweed - worth investigating! Thank you.

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I just use Miracle Grow slow release type granules, just scattered on the surface and they gradually water in.

I must say though that until your plants are well in flower or fruit they shouldn't need much feeding, particularly if you've planted in potting compost, as that medium contains a fair bit of plant nutrients anyway.
That's the product I use too, Barry. We have sandy soils, so also mix some in with the soil when planting. I especially like it when I am going to be away from home for some time. I've often wondered how the granolas compare to the water soluble.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I've just spent quite a long time filling watering cans & mixing feed for my dozens of container plants.

There's Camelia feed, Rose feed, General feed, potato feed - my heads a spin.

It's a chore I don't like. I use liquid feed and it has to be done every fortnight.

Is there an easier way?
Watching Gardners World last night, Tomato feed seems to meet all the requirements for plants, if it’s good enough for Monty it’s good enough for me, plus he has a Yorkie so he is sound.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top