Join for free
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 07:25 AM

What is eating my Dahlia seedlings

Help
Enthused by Month Don I bought a packet of Bishops children dahlia seeds .( 30 in a pack )
Planted them in pots indoors .about nine germinated .
Slowly they got less .
Only six survive .
I thought something might be in the soil so bought another packet planted in new soil indoors in the kitchen . Five from new pack . Two germinated two leaves one disaapeded leaving one healthy little seedling . This morning it is gone . It hasn’t been out of the kitchen what can be eating them ?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 09:09 AM

Re: What is eating my Dahlia seedlings

Hi Muddy there was a related question on Gardeners Question time The answer to eating seedlings was something living in the compost or wood lice.

Make sure you use fresh compost preferably sterilised you can do this in the oven or the microwave lots of info on the net .

There could also be a problem with the seed, try a different seed producer next time.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Muddy .

Make sure you use fresh compost preferably sterilised you can do this in the oven or the microwave lots of info on the net .
That's a new one on me! I didn't know you could sterilise compost? I'm going to look into that, thanks!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 09:14 AM

Thanks Meg I got the soil out of a compost bag but it must be contaminated .
I will try the microwave method .
The seeds are Sarah Raven .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 09:27 AM

If at first you don't suceed then try try again
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

12-05-2021, 09:40 AM

Well I will but if not we’ll I will stick to marigolds and poppies nothing seems to eat them . I just bung the seed out and hey presto they grow

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top