Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 11:03 AM

Re: You’re invited for dinner but told to worry about bringing anything.

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
You could send the wine and choices though.
And what would be in it for me?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
I'm very socially inept, and whatever I do always seems to be the wrong thing. The best strategy I have come up with to get round the problem is to not turn up.
That would probably be the best option for the hosts too Harbal ??

Donkeyman! 👍🤗🤗👍
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 11:13 AM

I'd take them at their word and bring nothing. Why wouldn't I?
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
That would probably be the best option for the hosts too Harbal ??
Believe it or not, consideration for them is my main motive.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
And what would be in it for me?
That warm feeling inside. The sense of altruism.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

18-06-2021, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
That warm feeling inside. The sense of altruism.
I'm already warm enough inside.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 11:26 AM

Nice of them to invite me. Don't think I'd have gone either.

We were invited to a house warming party many years ago, three doors up & went, but the lady of the house was a vegan & the food was awful, tasteless & dry, we drank a lot instead. At least they weren't TT.
Couldn't help wondering as she had invited so many carnivorous neighbours she's not supplied us with food we could actually enjoy, not meat, but even egg sarnies would have been nice or fish/prawns etc.
We were never invited to another party there.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Nice of them to invite me. Don't think I'd have gone either.

We were invited to a house warming party many years ago, three doors up & went, but the lady of the house was a vegan & the food was awful, tasteless & dry, we drank a lot instead. At least they weren't TT.
Couldn't help wondering as she had invited so many carnivorous neighbours she's not supplied us with food we could actually enjoy, not meat, but even egg sarnies would have been nice or fish/prawns etc.
We were never invited to another party there.
Hence my suggestion of taking a takeaway menu

We have friends a bit like that. Not vegan, but somehow they manage to make terrible food. Think they have a "thing" about not seasoning things, and it'd be a bit rude of us to put a load on at the dining table.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 11:38 AM

Wouldn't go. Sounds awful from the get-go.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 11:38 AM

Thank you all for your responses.
This isn’t my first invitation to a dinner party.
I’m actually much more social than I portray myself to be and have been to many dinner parties throughout my life.
What’s different about this is that they are our new neighbours who live about 1 kilometre away and I’d like to make a good impression in hopes of becoming friends. She’s a lovely woman who is my age and we already share many similar joys in life.
And honestly I’m no longer the social butterfly that I once was so this is certainly out of my comfort zone.

This is the first time I’ve actually taken in consideration when someone says ‘just being yourself.’ Do people actually mean that or is it just the polite thing to say? Anyway, I never show up empty handed if invited somewhere. Usually I will make something to take but I’ve recently realized that it could be considered insulting to the host since she’s the one who should be shining in those regards.

I have two bottles of wine. Ones a Pinot Grigio made in Italy called Mezzacorona and another one which is a Chardonnay from New Zealand - a Cindy Crawford brand. We aren’t really drinkers but I might have a glass tonight.
My husband , myself and my friends friend are all woodcarvers so she wants us all to meet each other.

The flowers I’m going to pick just before going. These wild lupines and wild irises I’m hoping to use to make a beautiful bouquet. Aren’t they gorgeous? I will try and remember to post a photo of the bouquet before leaving.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	857CFEF0-C668-4B15-8BFA-934D19B56BBF.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	15987   Click image for larger version

Name:	E9272334-92EB-47C5-85B6-33E10CAD3D9D.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	15988  

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top