Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 11:22 PM

Re: American Football

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Have you seen rugby (either Union or League)?? The players are just as big, just as fast, but much tougher and don't need or want all that padding, helmets etc.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure you're right about rugby players being big, tough, and fast.
Since I've never seen a rugby match, I'd be pretty stupid to make any comment. Let's just say both rugby and American football is not a game for sissies.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->

I'm sure you're right about rugby players being big, tough, and fast.
Since I've never seen a rugby match, I'd be pretty stupid to make any comment. Let's just say both rugby and American football is not a game for sissies.
Think American Grid Iron should not be called Football...The only time a ball is kicked is when they bring on a child to kick a ball between two posts that are a mile apart and then they often miss.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Think American Grid Iron should not be called Football...The only time a ball is kicked is when they bring on a child to kick a ball between two posts that are a mile apart and then they often miss.
I'm sorry Galty but you are very much mistaken. 1st I haven't a clue as to what you mean when you say, "...when they bring on a child to kick a ball...". There are numerous cases of field goal kickers playing into there late 30's and even into their 40's.

2nd, in addition to trying for a field goal, there is "the punt" and "the kick-off". In neither case are they trying to score points. The punt and the kickoff is all about field position ie driving the opponent as far back down the field as possible.

All 3 types of kicks are critical to the game and the final outcome very often depends upon the skill of the kicker. Poor kicking, punting and field goal tries often spells doom for a team.

I have no desire to insult you but you just don't know what you are talking about. In any event I don't recall the inventers of football asking any foreigners permission on what to call the game.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I have no desire to insult you but you just don't know what you are talking about. In any event I don't recall the inventers of football asking any foreigners permission on what to call the game.
Don't worry their girlie game isn't called footie here either; it is known as soccer and the girls play it best.

Footie is either Rugby League or Aussie Rules:

MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 10:08 AM

I think the thing that most confuses/annoys non-Americans about American Football is the continual stop-start nature of the game. A one-hour game seems to take 3 or 4 hours to complete. Having said that, I love the game (although nowhere near as much as I love Rugby) and was a huge fan of the Redskins (sorry if that name offends any snowflakes - NOT!!!) - especially Joe Theissman and the unstoppable John Riggins. Awesome players.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top