Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 04:38 PM

Anyone found a book?

I have just been for a walk with Chloe across the fields and tied to a gatepost was a book in a plastic cover by Bill Bryson with a note saying ''A free book for you''.
I thought at first it was some kind of joke

Further inspection revealed it had been placed there by someone belonging to 'Book Crossing.com'...

BookCrossing is the act of releasing your books "into the wild" for a stranger to find, or via "controlled release" to another BookCrossing member, and tracking where they go via journal entries from around the world. Our community of 1,951,000 passionate, generous book-lovers is changing the world and touching lives, one traveling book at a time. We hope you join us!

https://www.bookcrossing.com/
I left the book for someone else to find , it looks a nice idea though.

I wondered if anyone else had found one .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 04:50 PM

Re: Anyone found a book?

Earlier this year there was 'book crossing' day here - they were left on park benches, low walls, outside cafe tables - all over the place. It is a lovely idea.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Earlier this year there was 'book crossing' day here - they were left on park benches, low walls, outside cafe tables - all over the place. It is a lovely idea.
ST I hade never heard of it and a field full of sheep in the Worcestershire countryside seems an odd place to leave a book.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have just been for a walk with Chloe across the fields and tied to a gatepost was a book in a plastic cover by Bill Bryson with a note saying ''A free book for you''.
I thought at first it was some kind of joke

Further inspection revealed it had been placed there by someone belonging to 'Book Crossing.com'...

I left the book for someone else to find , it looks a nice idea though.

I wondered if anyone else had found one .
What a nice idea!
We normally give ours to a charity.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 04:54 PM

ST I hade never heard of it and in a field full of sheep in the Worcestershire countryside seems an odd place to leave a book.
I always knew sheep were more intelligent than they are given credit for!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

29-07-2019, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I always knew sheep were more intelligent than they are given credit for!
Yes, and while I was untying the book to look at it 'the friendly sheep' who must have been bottle fed came up behind me and butted me in the backside causing me to drop the book in the nettles I had to kick it out with my feet (the book not the sheep ) .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 05:17 PM

Not heard of that before but it sounds like a nice idea. I have seen a few old phone boxes with free books in. Mind you, anything left around here will probably end up being thrown in the river or ripped to pieces by the 'bouncy' teenagers.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 05:17 PM

Yes, and while I was untying the book to look at it 'the friendly sheep' who must have been bottle fed came up behind me and butted me in the backside causing me to drop the book in the nettles I had to kick it out with my feet (the book not the sheep ) .
I don't mean to laugh but...

Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 07:42 PM

Heard of this idea, but I've never found one. We have a redundant bus shelter in the village and this has become a hub for charity collections of shoes, etc., books and magazines for free and CD's and DVD's all for the taking. Also has local history info on the wall and a very large noticeboard.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

29-07-2019, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Not heard of that before but it sounds like a nice idea. I have seen a few old phone boxes with free books in. Mind you, anything left around here will probably end up being thrown in the river or ripped to pieces by the 'bouncy' teenagers.
Originally Posted by Sweetsue ->
Heard of this idea, but I've never found one. We have a redundant bus shelter in the village and this has become a hub for charity collections of shoes, etc., books and magazines for free and CD's and DVD's all for the taking. Also has local history info on the wall and a very large noticeboard.
I have seen a few old phoneboxes in the area that have become book exchanges , they seem to have survived the vandals.

That's a good idea for the bus shelter Sue there are sheep in ours.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top