Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2020, 12:15 PM

People are forgetting how to drive

Apparently so, drivers returning to normal car use are stalling, kerbing their wheels and are having trouble parallel parking, as well as forgetting to indicate, I’d say that’s just normal everyday driving
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2020, 12:26 PM

Re: People are forgetting how to drive

That’s so true I simply could not park the car last week despite it having sensors and a camera to make life easy . It ended up looking rather drunk with two wheels on the pavement .
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2020, 12:39 PM

I went for a drive on Wednesday for the first time in a couple of months - it definitely took me a few miles to get the "feel" of the car again ...... but I parallel parked first time on my return.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2020, 12:48 PM

Hi

They are driving far too fast.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2020, 01:43 PM

Not me, I've driven every day since lockdown. It's actually a pleasure to drive on roads that are almost empty and tourist free.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2020, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Not me, I've driven every day since lockdown. It's actually a pleasure to drive on roads that are almost empty and tourist free.
I hope that your journeys were for essential reasons only .....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2020, 02:36 PM

Our local boy racer is out again in his souped up car.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2020, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Apparently so, drivers returning to normal car use are stalling, kerbing their wheels and are having trouble parallel parking, as well as forgetting to indicate, I’d say that’s just normal everyday driving
I hope they don't blame the tyre manufacturers when the sidewalls are scrubbed away! :lol;
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2020, 02:52 PM

I haven't driven the car since the lockdown, so my driving may or may not be OK. I've soon got to renew my licence for the second time since turning 70. I did debate whether to do so or not because I think we could quite easily manage life without a car.

I probably will renew this time but not next time ..if I'm still around. After that, I won't bother with owning a car any more. It will be, "Come in mart, your time is up".
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2020, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I haven't driven the car since the lockdown, so my driving may or may not be OK. I've soon got to renew my licence for the second time since turning 70. I did debate whether to do so or not because I think we could quite easily manage life without a car.

I probably will renew this time but not next time ..if I'm still around. After that, I won't bother with owning a car any more. It will be, "Come in mart, your time is up".
I had all this years' ago when my father was around 60-61. After a lifetime of driving everything from motorcycles, vans and cars to lorries and even tanks he was showing signs of not driving too well. We sat down with a calculator and worked out what it would cost to give up the car and use taxis. It worked out far, far cheaper and for him and my mother, safer too.

I know from my own costs it is very expensive to own and run a car. I bought a new VW Golf in 2014 and have covered just 22,000 miles since then. The car is very good on fuel, it's a diesel returning 58-61 to the gallon. No Road Fund Licence and insurance is around £325. Servicing and MoT costs about £350-£400 a year. Depreciation though is £50 a week! To date I've lost around £15,000 that way.

If planned taxis would have been cheaper and there's usually enough around to just phone and get one within about 10-15 minutes. My car will never be worn out at this rate and I have no plans to stop driving. I don't need what the car would fetch if sold and am in my second of the three years of having to reapply for a driving licence every three years, so will continue and just take it as it comes.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top