Join for free
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 01:00 AM

Cleaning Windows and a Fear of Heights (That Don't Involve Waves)

I am looking for some creative ideas on how to clean the upper stories on my house. There has got to be a way to do this without high ladders involved.

Ideas?

(I should add, anticipating the sharp wit on this forum , that I am talking about the exterior not interior ).
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 01:33 AM

Re: Cleaning Windows and a Fear of Heights (That Don't Involve Waves)

Notwithstanding the cost it may involve, I'd get somebody else to do it. I hate heights also (Anything over 2 stories) so I empathise.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 05:30 AM

This is a yank product so you should be able to buy it. They sell something similar here.

I have never used it because a) I live in a single storey house and b) I have never cleaned a window in my life (it's god's job)

carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 07:35 AM

Something on a long pole like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/window-clea...6954774&sr=8-1
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I am looking for some creative ideas on how to clean the upper stories on my house. There has got to be a way to do this without high ladders involved.

Ideas?

(I should add, anticipating the sharp wit on this forum , that I am talking about the exterior not interior ).

Aren't there any local window cleaners?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Something on a long pole like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/window-clea...6954774&sr=8-1

That's what I was thinking too, Carol.

Or better still, do what I've done, and get a window cleaner to call regularly.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 12:40 PM

My windowcleaner uses a brush on a long pole and has some kind of pump to,er, pump pure water which he buys from somewhere so that there's no residue which normal tap water would leave. Works fine for us.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 04:00 PM

I thought about the pole options, but the upper windows are over 30 feet up. I am not sure I could get one that would enable me to have the control and pressure I would need. Still debating that though. Thanks for the ideas on that!

Bruce, that is exactly the ingenuity I was looking for. From reading the reviews, the only issue is that if you use the string to save the device from falling to the ground, it can swing into lower windows and glass and cause damage. I suppose the answer is just to let the thing fall to the ground and then fetch it.

Yes, there are window cleaners around, but I could buy a new car for the price they want to do the upper floors.

Thank you all so much!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
My windowcleaner uses a brush on a long pole and has some kind of pump to,er, pump pure water which he buys from somewhere so that there's no residue which normal tap water would leave. Works fine for us.
Our window cleaner does the same and our windows are 20' up. The apartment block next door has 4 floors so their top floor windows must be ~40' above ground level. Their window cleaners use the pole and brush technique too.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

13-08-2020, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Our window cleaner does the same and our windows are 20' up. The apartment block next door has 4 floors so their top floor windows must be ~40' above ground level. Their window cleaners use the pole and brush technique too.
That's good to know. The highest ones I am struggling with are about 32-40 feet up.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top