Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 10:22 PM

Re: Cambridge's Dutch roundabout damaged by hit-and-run driver

The thing is, I understand the premiss behind the roundabout which is to force vehicles to slow down a lot quicker than they normally would but unfortunately that is not how the mind of a UK driver works and it never will. There will always be exceptions to the rule but for the majority, UK drivers see themselves as the king of the road and anything that forces them to slow down is seen as an annoyance or an inconvenience regardless of the necessity to slow traffic down.

The UK is not a bicycle thinking nation. The adult mindset is, if they cannot afford a car, they will cycle to where they need to go BUT as soon as they can afford to purchase a car, in comes the car, out goes the bicycle. It's how the majority in the UK think and it will never change.

I'd been a car driver for 21 years and stopped driving due to the fact that I live too close to where I work thus no need for a car. As such, we can all remember our driving lesson days of what we are supposed to do as outline in the Highway Code and one of the things that I have noticed is very common place with drivers is that instead of pulling up to a junction and waiting for a safe place to enter the flow of traffic, drivers coast slowly to the junction, looking in all directions to see if the coast is clear or hoping for a safe spot to enter the flow of traffic, the car still coasting to the junction, they see their spot and put on more acceleration all because they do not want to stop and wait. I've seen exactly the same at traffic lights, vehicles of all types will pull up slowly towards the traffic lights, hope they go green so they can carry on moving without having to stop.

That way of thinking is in the mindset of a huge majority of drivers so a dutch style roundabout which gives priority to cyclists and pedestrians is a disaster waiting to happen. The proof is in the fact that the roundabout was not even fully open and a car smashes into one of the zebra crossing lights. Just think if that had happened if it was in full use and cyclists and pedestrians using it thinking by it mere design and nature that it is safe to use and a driver does what that crash driver did BUT hits cyclists and pedestrians instead.

No sorry but the UK is not ready for dutch style roundabouts.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
This roundabout will more that likely increase more deaths and traffic collisions due to people not understanding how to use it properly.

Maybe we all need a long holiday (at the governments expense) in Holland to understand how the system works

I agree Dodge.
Who's stupid brainwave was this?

Why do they always have to meddle and change things that worked perfectly alright!!!
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree Dodge.
Who's stupid brainwave was this?

Why do they always have to meddle and change things that worked perfectly alright!!!

It would not surprise me if Cambridge council got less than 10 people who said having such a roundabout would be good for the area so they built it and when the media ask questions about, the council will say 'The people of Cambridge wanted it so we gave it' and that's when thousands upon thousands of Cambridge residents go 'I was never asked'
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2020, 01:34 PM

Some members will recognise the Sadler's Farm roundabout near Canvey (as it used to be); five roundabouts on a big roundabout. Negotiating it was always chaos which is why they eventually spent millions putting it right.

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2020, 01:39 PM

Then there's Swindon's Magic Roundabout:

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2020, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Then there's Swindon's Magic Roundabout:

Oh dear.... even worse.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2020, 02:49 PM

Dutch roundabouts work in Holland...this immigrant should be sent back...anyone know how much it cost to build?
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2020, 02:54 PM

And for those still looking..

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	B8A4F63B-62C6-4BC9-9F72-E475F63685CF.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	13502  
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2020, 03:33 PM

Hi

Once you get used to them they are easy.

Times are changing, more bikes and pedestrians.

Life moves on and don't forget it is those still working who pay our Pensions.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2020, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
And for those still looking..
Wasn't that dismissed as a myth in the recent past?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top