Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2020, 11:51 AM

Crazy Parts Prices

Been doing some work on my Motorcycle, misplaced a couple of bolts and bushes off the centre stand. Went onto my usual parts source Fowlers, the slightly larger bush was £11.95,and the smaller one £9.95, and the bolts £4.50 each. These are off the shelf items so went onto Ebay and found the bushes, albeit in pack of two for £3.99 the pair, the flange bolts £2.50 for the two.
Some parts you have no alternative but to pay the price, when I got the bike, it had an horrible after market exhaust on it, the originals from Fowlers were £1350.00, I sourced some from an importer from Japan, they look like they were fitted to a bike but removed before use, a bargain at £495.00

LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2020, 12:03 PM

Re: Crazy Parts Prices

I found exactly the same with Suzuki cars, but by buying Maruti parts (the Indian Suzuki) I can save around 50% on the prices I pay on parts packaged as Suzuki because the parts are exactly the same; and in the case of a complete door mirror assembly, the savings were 70%
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2020, 12:08 PM

The silly fools quote the sizes of the bolts and fasteners in the parts catalogue, if going to charge extortionate prices, they should keep that information to themselves.
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2020, 01:34 PM

You always get ripped off by dealerships/manufacturers . I needed new wiper blades for my Skoda Karoq dealer price £60 - Halfrauds £40 - E-bay £17 and that was for Bosch Blades
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2020, 02:54 PM

We are ripped off all the time here. There's no need for it except that most just pay like the sheep we are.

Good luck with the job Spitfire. Make sure you cover the sofa well before you start.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2020, 02:57 PM

I used to restore classic Triumphs but when completed the sum of the parts were always more than the value of the bike which was understandable in a way because most original stocks were non existant by virtue of age, so most parts had to be manufactured just for the classic market.

That isn't the case of recent and current models of course, but main dealer parts have always been horrendously overpriced so thank goodness for the generic market...
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2020, 03:35 PM

Just make sure the parts aren't Chinese rip-offs. If they are, you can bet your bottom $ the steel used won't be the correct grade or specification.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2020, 07:20 PM

Parts are not the only outrageously priced things. The Toyota stealership wants $1342. USD to remove and replace my oil pump.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2020, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
We are ripped off all the time here. There's no need for it except that most just pay like the sheep we are.

Good luck with the job Spitfire. Make sure you cover the sofa well before you start.
LOL Longdogs , l was thinking the same thing?
Spitty must be a real old school biker ?

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2020, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
LOL Longdogs , l was thinking the same thing?
Spitty must be a real old school biker ?

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top