Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
JeanMcP
Ireland
JeanMcP is female  JeanMcP has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2020, 07:47 PM

Re: Messy painters.

Mr Mc went into work the other day, he was building stables for someone. They hadn't appeared so he opened the front door to find the owner chucking a bucket of water down the stairs

Seems that whilst she was on the loo, the young lad ( 4) decided to chuck a 2.5 litre tin of blue emulsion down the oak staircase
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2020, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by JeanMcP ->
Mr Mc went into work the other day, he was building stables for someone. They hadn't appeared so he opened the front door to find the owner chucking a bucket of water down the stairs

Seems that whilst she was on the loo, the young lad ( 4) decided to chuck a 2.5 litre tin of blue emulsion down the oak staircase
Oh dear!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2020, 08:53 PM

I used to do quite a bit of painting and decorating for people and I found the best way to stop the paint getting everywhere was to use as little protection as possible. Just some newspaper under the tin. It's amazing how careful you can be when there are no covers. Obviously I had to use a sheet when using a roller but I hated that.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2020, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I used to do quite a bit of painting and decorating for people and I found the best way to stop the paint getting everywhere was to use as little protection as possible.
What no clothing at all LD

Just some newspaper under the tin. It's amazing how careful you can be when there are no covers. Obviously I had to use a sheet when using a roller but I hated that.
I think I would be very careful in those circumstances
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2020, 09:46 PM

Why do you think I let Sue do the painting? me not silly
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2020, 11:30 PM

I bought a couple of huge men's shirts from the Sally Army a while back, and have found them invaluable as smocks for when I paint my fences/gates.
Me being small, they nearly come down to my knees, and I have to roll the sleeves back several times, but they big enough and loose enough to button up over my clothes easily.
Then I wear those vinyl disposal gloves to complete my ensemble.

They are like a technicolour dreamcoat now, but at least my clothes are clean.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2020, 07:46 AM

What a great idea Mups !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2020, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I bought a couple of huge men's shirts from the Sally Army a while back, and have found them invaluable as smocks for when I paint my fences/gates.
Me being small, they nearly come down to my knees, and I have to roll the sleeves back several times, but they big enough and loose enough to button up over my clothes easily.
Then I wear those vinyl disposal gloves to complete my ensemble.

They are like a technicolour dreamcoat now, but at least my clothes are clean.
I did the same Mups but got rid of them when they were covered in fence paint earlier this year .I have been unable to replace them yet .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2020, 09:32 AM

Hi

I am an Expert at DIY

DIY means don't involve yourself.

I have many contacts who are Ace at building, gardening, electrics, plumbing etc.

We have a Barter System.

I sort out their paperwork, they do my bits.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2020, 09:37 AM

Painting any surface is really quite simple and neat if you take a few basic precautions. Take painting a wall for example. 1st, move any furniture out of the way, and wipe the floor, near the wall, with a damp rag to pick up any bit of dust. Dry the floor with another rag. 2nd, apply masking tape along the floor, right up against the wall or bottom wooden molding Paint stores have very wide masking tape. 5 cm wide is enough. 3rd, spread a plastic tarp out on the floor and tape it to the previously applied tape. 4th, use a roller and a roller pan. You can now add an extension to the roller. Every paint store has a stick, 1 1/2 meter long, with threads on one end which you can screw into the handle of the roller. With the stick in the roller you can reach all the way up to the top of the wall. 5th, open the can of paint and pour some of it into the pan. Close the lid of the paint can and bang it tight.

Load the roller full of paint, but do not over load the roller, and begin applying paint to the wall. 2 coats are often necessary. Let the 1st coat of paint dry for 3/4 of an hour. Apply 2nd coat.

If you are painting only one wall with an accent color, you may now go around the edges with a brush. Dip the brush in the paint can and scrape off excess paint from one side of the brush, on the side of the can. Do not, repeat DO NOT, dip the entire brush into the paint. 1/2 of the bristles is plenty.

Tip: keep the roller pan (with the paint in it) well out of your way. You'd be amazed how often beginners step into the paint pan.

Doing the whole room ? Continue as above.

Simple, neat and clean.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top