Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 08:52 PM

Re: Statement by the EU.

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Who keeps saying they want to trade on wto rules? Those rules demand a customs border where tariffs are paid and goods are checked. If you send goods to britain from NI without checking, all other countries are entitled (wto rules!) to do the same. Or is the UK going to break those rules too?
Oh dear.

"First, a fact:

There is no rule in the WTO requiring its member governments to secure their borders."
Again you display your ignorance.

That is from:
https://tradebetablog.wordpress.com/...their-borders/

(There's quite a bit of interesting stuff in there).
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Oh dear.

"First, a fact:

There is no rule in the WTO requiring its member governments to secure their borders."
Again you display your ignorance.

That is from:
https://tradebetablog.wordpress.com/...their-borders/

(There's quite a bit of interesting stuff in there).
And he's ignoring the fact that Northern Island is part of the UNITED KINGDOM so there should not be a border between England, Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
And he's ignoring the fact that Northern Island is part of the UNITED KINGDOM so there should not be a border between England, Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland.
Ah yes; how legal is it for an external source to impose an unwanted internal border on a nation, do you think?

I would love some examples from recent times if anybody has any?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 05:28 PM

Ah yes; how legal is it for an external source to impose an unwanted internal border on a nation, do you think?

I would love some examples from recent times if anybody has any?
Well, we did split Germany into four parts at the end of the war. The British got the northern part, the Yanks go the southern part and the Russians got what became East Germany.
Of course, the Frogs also got a little bit adjacent to their border, though I can't think why. They did nowt in the war, apart from waving their white flags soon after their country was invaded!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 06:10 PM

Customs borders don't have to be on geographical borders.

Its done on line anyway and you can pay months after goods have been recieved.

Solasch thinks there's a man with a till in a wooden customs hut ready to take your money

How do mixed loads work on lorries with multiple destinations if its not done on line I wonder ...
Zaphod
Lincs UK

20-10-2020, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Well, we did split Germany into four parts at the end of the war. The British got the northern part, the Yanks go the southern part and the Russians got what became East Germany.
Of course, the Frogs also got a little bit adjacent to their border, though I can't think why. They did nowt in the war, apart from waving their white flags soon after their country was invaded!
So in time of war (or to be more accurate just after) is the only time you can think of, when the victors were splitting up the spoils?

Couldn't we persuade the EU to instead make a border somewhere around say a straight horozontal line from Watford Gap - or even use Hadrian's Wall since some already want that?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 07:43 PM

So in time of war (or to be more accurate just after) is the only time you can think of, when the victors were splitting up the spoils?

Couldn't we persuade the EU to instead make a border somewhere around say a straight horozontal line from Watford Gap - or even use Hadrian's Wall since some already want that?
I can't see the EU making any borders within our independent sovereign nation. They can do what the hell they like in their own little empire. I don't give a toss.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

20-10-2020, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I can't see the EU making any borders within our independent sovereign nation. They can do what the hell they like in their own little empire. I don't give a toss.
Almost my exact thoughts, but I couldn't resist a facetious "dig" to show the improbability.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

24-10-2020, 03:54 PM

This is from the (chuckle; "not-so") Independent:
'Brexit talks could go into their crucial "tunnel" phase as early as Monday, officials believe'
"Just two weeks of negotiating time remain before it would become impossible to get a deal in place and ratified by the end of the year."
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1255230.html

If The Idependent is right (and TBH we all know time is short, so ....) then we should indeed know within days whether or not there is likely to be a deal.
Things are coming to a head at last.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

25-10-2020, 01:11 PM

Following on from my post yesterday, this is being covered by lots of our media:
"EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier is planning to extend his visit to London until Wednesday amid cautious optimism over the progress of post-Brexit trade talks with Britain"
And:
"The paper said the British team would travel to Brussels on Thursday for more talks and that next Saturday had effectively become the deadline to decide whether the two sides could reach a deal."
https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-br...-idUKKBN2790YC

Tick tock tick tock

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top