Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 09:03 AM

Cracked Windscreen.

Hi

My windscreen is cracked.

The Insurers insist it is done by their preferred agency.

The Excess is £85 and they cannot do it until next week, they need to order the windscreen as it is heated and has rain sensors.

Autoglass can do it today, a mile away and they have a booth.

The reviews of the Hastings Direct fitters are horrendous.

They also visit your property and cannot do the work if it is raining.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 09:06 AM

Re: Cracked Windscreen.

So what's the price difference Swims?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 09:16 AM

Hi

They would charge me £192, including the Admin Fee.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 09:34 AM

Likely worth the wait then?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

09-10-2020, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Likely worth the wait then?
Hi

Yes, but for £30 more I could have renewed with an insurer who used Autoglass.

Lesson learnt.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 09:45 AM

it is Hastings Direct that attempted to bribe Sue with £200 to take over all dealings with the recent car accident. Not a company I would insure with , we find LV are very very good and the premiums only go up by £5-10 each year.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 10:21 AM

My windscreen tale is not as bad as Swimmy's, but just as annoying. At the end of August, I had a chip done in Sainsburys car park. I've had no end of trouble getting my £40 back from my insurers, Churchill. I should have used Autoglass, as they sort the whole business out for you. I used Prestige Windscreens, who promised a swift result to the claim. Fat chance! So a word to the wise, use Autoglass, no one else!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

09-10-2020, 10:49 AM

Autoglass really are the dog's do dahs' I've used them myself in the past but they aren't the cheapest, hence the insurer choice...
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 11:22 AM

I've used Autoglass in the past and found them very good. My VW Golf, when only about a month old, sustained a cracked windscreen from a stone thrown up from a vehicle somewhere in front.
I telephoned my broker to claim, they gave me the phone number of a less than well-known repairer. They wanted three weeks to book it in – not a lot of good as driving the car with windscreen damage like that was illegal. Contacted the broker, explaining the situation and telling them I was going to get a price from a main dealer as it was a nearly new car. That was acceptable so contacted the main dealer and guess who they use? Yes, Autoglass. Back to the broker and it was agreed to use Autoglass for no more Excess than quoted with the original company advised.

The windscreen was replaced within a day, all done very quickly and professionally by Autoglass.
I recall providing insurance details and that was it, the rest was dealt with by the broker.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 11:32 AM

My windscreen has had at least a dozen chips or stars in it. I just buy a kit from Repco or Supercheap Auto and repair them myself. I get up to 5 repairs out of one kit and I think they cost about $13.

I pay an extra few bucks a year for windscreen insurance so that any claim doesn't affect my no claims bonus. I haven't used it on this car.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top