Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 01:30 PM

Re: Boris has Blown it!

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Hi Bread, we will see. I hope you are correct as I have all but given up on him, as I am sure most of the Red Wall voters who expected him to grow a set and stick to his word that tomorrow was the deadline! But no, once again, he has kicked his deadline into the long grass. Getting mightily sick to death of it. I would personally prefer him to keep his big mouth shut and stop giving deadlines that the nation waitS to be implemented, only to yet again make us all angry when it looks that once again he is doing a Theresa May and making the UK look weak.
Perhaps he does have a plan, HE BETTER HAD!
If there is a chance of a deal, Boris has to keep negotiations going - he can't do much else no matter what he (or anyone else) says. The EU are the same - they said they wouldn't change the withdrawal agreement etc but they did just that remember - and they agreed to 3 extensions as well.

The constant wind-up is all part of the negotiations, if Boris walks away everyone will blame him for a no deal Brexit, so it looks like (to me anyway) he has switched it to put the decision back on the EU when there is the leader summit 15th October. If they come back and say no deal, then he is off the hook and can do what's best for the UK by tearing up the WA and walking away.

But for the 27, here is the kicker ....

If the EU 27 say a deal can be made (based on what's on the table now) then it would also be ratified in principle, right there and then - it's very clever. There's no going away and ratifying later, it's all or nothing unless they change their mind - which they could never do once they have all agreed as a union.

... oh the pressure !
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Every time he moves the deadline he does make us look weak.

It only encourages the EU.
The reason for a trade deal to be made is that it is beneficial to both parties. What has boris to offer that is wanted by the EU?
Not even tariff free trade is on offer, as the EU knows the UK is not ready to apply them. Perhaps after 6 months, but even that is uncertain. Can you imagine china's joy at sending shiploads of goods, because as you know, not putting tariffs on EU goods obliges (on the wto rules that farage loves so much) to remove tariffs from other country's imports as well.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 01:39 PM

That meeting between Boris and Ursula von der Leyen today will be an interesting one

https://www.cityam.com/brexit-boris-...-deal-meeting/

He should remind her that the UK fisheries bill has just cleared the house of commons
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
If there is a chance of a deal, Boris has to keep negotiations going - he can't do much else no matter what he (or anyone else) says. The EU are the same - they said they wouldn't change the withdrawal agreement etc but they did just that remember - and they agreed to 3 extensions as well.

The constant wind-up is all part of the negotiations, if Boris walks away everyone will blame him for a no deal Brexit, so it looks like (to me anyway) he has switched it to put the decision back on the EU when there is the leader summit 15th October. If they come back and say no deal, then he is off the hook and can do what's best for the UK by tearing up the WA and walking away.

But for the 27, here is the kicker ....

If the EU 27 say a deal can be made (based on what's on the table now) then it would also be ratified in principle, right there and then - it's very clever. There's no going away and ratifying later, it's all or nothing unless they change their mind - which they could never do once they have all agreed as a union.

... oh the pressure !
The commission doesn't have the competence to ratify. But you know that.

But:

On 3 october Johnson and Von der Leyen extend Brexit talks by a month
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...lks-by-a-month
UK and EU leaders instruct chief negotiators to work harder to close gaps on deal

One month after 3 october brings me to 3 november, two weeks past boris' deadline of october 15. So boris caved in two weeks ago.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

14-10-2020, 01:48 PM

That meeting between Boris and Ursula von der Leyen today will be an interesting one

He should remind her that the UK fisheries bill has just cleared the house of commons
And she will remind him of their telephone call on 3 october. Poor little boris castized by ursela.

Is the three year transition offered by the UK part of that bill?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 01:58 PM

Do you think we will get to hear what they spoke about Bread??
I dont!!
It will all be private ! Can you tell me if Frosty will be present or not??
If it was Frosty meeting with Von Leyen then l would have no qualms,
but this is Boris we are talking about?? Imo, Boris should be
accompanied everywhere he goes!!

Donkeyman! 😟😟😟
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/13...Barnier-update

BORIS JOHNSON, YOU ARE THE WEAKEST LINK!
Ive always said that SG !!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

14-10-2020, 02:16 PM

Looks like he has moved his deadline to Friday, not Wednesday when the outcome of the EU leaders summit is clearer.

I also heard he will walk away on Friday if no deal can be made - this will come from the leaders of the 27 at the EU Summit, rather than it being Boris' decision.

If I'm right, its a smart move by the UK to back the 27 into a corner like this.
You must be a tory Bread!
Boris backed Barmier into a corner ???😁😁😁!!
It was always risky to trust the tories to carry out this task due to
the prevalence of remaiers in the tory party !!
If Farage had run his original full campaign we would have exited
long ago!! Even before the virus?

Donkeyman! 😟😟
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

14-10-2020, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->

Donkeyman! 😟😟

It would seem frost is blinking......
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...s-plan-emerges
Boris Johnson will be advised by his chief negotiator that a trade deal with the EU is still possible should the prime minister*ditch his deadline*and continue to negotiate with Brussels – as the French government offered a hint of compromise on fisheries.

David Frost, who has been in talks with the EU team led by*Michel Barnier*this week, will inform the prime minister that a further two weeks of daily talks could result in the remaining gaps being bridged.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

14-10-2020, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->

Donkeyman! 😟😟
The tories know that any fudge on Brexit and the red wall will never vote for them again - neither will any constituency outside of London.

Sure, I'm a member of the Conservative party, have been for many years (and a brief association with the Brexit Party) but, when it comes to Brexit I think the best chance is a conservative government with an 80 seat majority - Labour would give in to Metropolitan London and May would have given in altogether. I'm still backing Boris until Boris does something that betrays they Brexit vote - and by that I mean I won't put all my faith in what's reported in the press.

I'll wait and see what goes through Parliament.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top