Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 11:24 PM

Naming a pet

I've always wondered why people give a particular name to their pets and what influences their decision.

Why did you give your pets their name?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 11:44 PM

Re: Naming a pet

I don't really know Judd.
Sometimes I hear or see a name somewhere and like it, so I remember it.
Sometimes a certain name just seems to suit a pup though.

One of my big boy GSD's was huge and I called him 'Brecon' after the Brecon mountains, and his son was equally big like his Dad, so he became 'Beefy.'

These smaller girls I have now, I quite like old fashioned names, hence Nellie, Gertie, Izzy.

I liked the name Liffey from the Irish river, and my old Mups . . . . well I don't really know. I seem to remember I couldn't find a name that suited her for quite a while, and she got used to me calling her 'Pup', then I didn't want to confuse her so chose something that sounded as similar as possible.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 11:53 PM

Nemo - has very long, rather splendid whiskers so he was named after Captain Nemo from 20,000 leagues under the Sea - he also answers to TechnoCat because he is very interested in things with buttons and lights on them - he ran off with my new mobile phone months ago and I haven't found it yet!

Willow - is grey and white - the grey being mostly on her back so when she is curled up in a heap - as cats are wont to do - she looks exactly like a Pussy Willow bud - hence her name.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 11:57 PM

My rescue dog Mungo came with a Japanese name that was difficult to pronounce turned out it was a cartoon character .
I wanted a name that was two syllables and also more suited to a Border Collie.
Mungo is a usual name in Scotland and means Beloved .
And he is he’s the sweetness dog ever and everyone loves him .
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 07:43 AM

Our dog Tex was named by the woman who rescued him from an unfit owner - not abusive per se, but not coping. Her Texan husband named him as he was homesick. It stuck. It suits him
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 08:41 AM

Maximilian Thunderbolt
AKA Max
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 09:36 AM

The name Tirzah is from the film Ben Hur. She was Judah's sister and having seen the film so many times, we just liked the name.

Murtah is also from TV. He is the loyal Godfather to the main character, Jamie Fraser.

Olivia, just liked the name.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 10:02 AM

I have one female cat called Tammy.... because I always loved this song ...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=etExP7050GI

Then I have:-

Kit, a scraggy ginger kitten that we took in & he seemed to respond to the shortened version Kit

Rudi, another long haired ginger with a very pink nose, who arrived close to Christmas. I called him Rudolph.... but that got shortened.

Mr Grey, Another homeless stray who is grey with white feet. he isn't totally domesticated yet so, as my others are not allowed out at night, he has his own bed in my study & access to my kitchen. I am trying to make sure he has access to warm shelter, a bed & food.... to avoid him suffering any pain to the leg that he fractured, but is now healed. He sleeps here every night & waits till I get up so he will get chicken for breakfast... so I hope he will become one of my permanent cats in time!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 10:19 AM

Chose Kodi because it, well, just suits him, Snoopy because he was just so cute with a turned up nose and thought of snooty then changed it to Snoopy, Jako the parrot because I liked Michael Jackson. Sooty and Sweep the cats, one black one ginger. Awww RIP miss my past animals. My childhood cat Beauty because she was a black beauty, absolutely stunning.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 10:26 AM

We called our cocker spaniel Daisy because she was mostly white with orange ears - like a white daisy flower with an orange centre. Sadly, we lost her in January this year - gone but never forgotten.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top