Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2020, 06:45 PM

roof gutter cleaning time again

if you missed previous similar posts here it is again

Of course I could get a company in to do it but there are 4 huge oak trees in my garden, during a year the roof gutter needs cleaning several times and at £80+ a time it works out very expensive. So some years ago I invested in one of those vacuum machines , this one is the Skyvac atom model here in the uk

ok that is is the rundown of why now how to inspect?

the carbon fiber tubes slip together to give height so my thoughts were why not a small compact camera onto an end and see how bad the gutters get first.

DSC_2478.jpg

I came up with this cheap solution, using a Nikon L26 compact camera- a small flexable tripod and insulating tape.

with it all set up now ideal to video the gutter to check. Below is a small section of the whole video during the gutter inspection

give you 1 guess of my next job
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 07:14 AM

Re: roof gutter cleaning time again

That doesn't look like your roof RS, white gutter and tiles around 60 years old.... ?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 11:45 PM

What a coincidence! I was just checking my gutters for leaves etc as we enter the bushfire season.

Mine is a bit more 21st Century, I used my drone but it was a gusty day and I am not very competent at flying the damn thing but here's a sample

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 01:50 AM

, house built in around 1986

this is the long gutter that needs constant checking due to the high oak trees at the bottom of our garden

click on photo for closer look at gutter

using 4 skyvac poles are log enough to even clean over the conservatory. I actually have 5 of these poles in the kit I bought got 1 free. The skyvac atom I ordered was at the time they change to a more powerful motor so had to wait for the new version. so they included the pole free and they are not cheap now around £108
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 09:31 AM

Hi

Climbing ladders is out for me at the moment.

I snagged a window cleaner this week, very cheap, £6 for the front once a month, I gave him a tenner to clean the porch wood work as well.

Guttering will be cleaned next visit, front, back and conservatory for £20.

Very happy with that.

He and his friend are young lads making their way in life and building up a business.

Good for them.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

24-10-2020, 11:06 AM

No problem here wth window cleaning, the windows not only open but also slide along a track so the outside of the windows can be cleaned from inside the house as well
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 12:48 PM

Have you considered fitting gutter guards (either the mesh or brush type) which are designed to stop leaves falling into gutters? A one off investment of a couple of hundred quid would surely be recuperated within a very small time, especially given the proximity of trees.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

24-10-2020, 01:20 PM

Cost a !ot more to fit on the front of the house as well , gutter awkward to get to would need scaffolding and over conservatory as well
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 01:38 PM

Would have thought that hedgehog brush guards could be installed with your long poles. No need to scaffolding. Just need a bit of tapping down into place.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

10-11-2020, 05:27 PM

Sue was in a bit of a panic. During a really heavy downpour rain overflowed at tghe downpipe end

So with my brain actually in gear how do I check the downpipe.

First of all used skyvac to clear out the gutters, in blowing mode which did shift some roof moss around to opening having cleared the gutter along the whole length by using the suction on the machine

Next problem was how on earth do I get a hose up there and pointing down the downpipe. Had to search for the second brain cell to work that out

Simples! feed the hosepipe up the inside of the skyvac tubes until the end showed on the tube bend end. then just a case of taping the hose to the tube.

connect the hose to the tap and turn on. IT WORKED. water went straght into the downpipe and heard it flowing at ground level, job done

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top