Join for free
Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 08:33 PM

Re: Sugar overload

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Never heard of that one before, Julie
Whilst sugar isn't necessarily always the cause of obesity, it contributes to a bad diet and unhealthy lifestyle. Does that make somebody happy?
Well can only speak for myself I lost a lot of weight and was miserable as sin hated everything about being noticed and people commenting on my body. So gained it again and I'm happy again no one bothers me I can walk the dogs no one saying anything about how I look.

So I think yes you can be happy and fat.

Perhaps if everyone left everyone else alone I'd have felt better thinner, who knows but our society seems to allow people to comment on weight loss with no thought to whether a person wants that attention.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Reminder....

Thank you
Thanks for the reminder Mags.

Would you kindly respond to the post I made earlier today in the appropriate "Contact Staff" section of the forum.

Thank you
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well can only speak for myself I lost a lot of weight and was miserable as sin hated everything about being noticed and people commenting on my body. So gained it again and I'm happy again no one bothers me I can walk the dogs no one saying anything about how I look.

So I think yes you can be happy and fat.

Perhaps if everyone left everyone else alone I'd have felt better thinner, who knows but our society seems to allow people to comment on weight loss with no thought to whether a person wants that attention.
Then there's nothing wrong with that if you're okay with things, Julie. Over-eating on the other hand does bring on depression in some folk though.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 12:54 PM

Being of slim build, I've never worried about the sugar (or fat) content of the food I eat. I like sugar that's for sure.

If my fitness or weight had suffered because of not caring, I suppose I'd have changed my diet but I've kept a reasonably slim figure despite probable excesses.

I sometimes wonder if not caring was a contributing factor towards my cancer but that was probably more down to years of smoking I suppose. Anyway, that's not a problem at the moment. I eat and drink what I want and have a better than average energy level for a person of my age.

My 34 inch waist trousers are feeling a bit tight but I reckon that will soon get better now Christmas/New Year are over.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I wonder what will happen to all the TV chefs that use more sugar in one dish than most people consume per year? Should we throw out all their old recipe books now?
Good point Longdogs, I've just finished watching the last series of 'Masterchef, The Professionals' the food looked delicious, but I was amazed at the amount of sugar, salt and Butter that went into some of the dishes...

The three presenters - Marcus Warring, Greg Wallace and Monica Gianetti are fairly slim, and I would have thought they would be on the fattish side after sampling all of the food....I did notice that the portions of posh food are usually quite small though...I doubt they would have filled me up...
I'll stick to me fish and chips.....

We seem to home in on a particular ingredient over the years, usually recommended by the Daily Fail, first it was eggs that were the bad boys in our diet, then it turned to fat. It became very difficult to buy anything that wasn't 'Fat Free' or 'Reduced Fat' When I was a lad there was only one type of milk....Now you can buy Skimmed, Semi Skimmed, Filtered, Full Fat, Soya, Lactose free, and a whole crate of various flavours....

Next we move on to 'Sugar' it's so bad for us they have put a tax on it, what next? Pictures of obese people on bottles of coca cola...Fads come and go, and I think that being obese is not down to any single thing but a whole selection of things. Lack of exercise and eating the wrong things on a mammoth scale to name but two. The popularity of the motor car, TV and computer. We would rather watch sport than participate, as is demonstrated by our diminishing team of athletes who are able to compete on the world stage.

It's no wonder that poor countries are producing the best runners, Macdonalds, coca cola and KFC are only just permeating their cities, add to this the motor car and internet and in a few years our runners might just have a chance of victory...
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 01:26 PM

It's evident isn't it OGF that the media will tell people what is good or not good to eat on a whim and will do so in support of the people who pay them to put out those (largely false) claims. We should simply ignore all that nonsense. Nature provides. End of.

Anyone who steers us against the products of Nature is imo a charlatan looking to make money by selling us inferior and less healthy products.

That said nothing is ever straight forward. There is always research to be done and learning the truth about available food and drink is an on-going education which we should all embrace.

Is drinking tea a good thing?

Well, what do we mean by tea? Tea bags, green tea, black tea, white tea etc etc?

Are eggs good or bad?

Well which eggs? Battery hens, free range hens, duck eggs, goose eggs, eggs collected from farms, eggs going through intensive processes?
Are the shells contaminated with bacteria etc etc?

Nothing is straight forward any more. The advent of globalisation and commercial gain has resulted in manufacturers trying anything and everything to fool us and to put cheap ingredients into products. Labelling laws are purposefully vague and allows them to get away with all manner of horrendous things. I'll cite my old favourite, orange juice. Always labelled as 100% orange juice, often labelled as "freshy squeezed" but nevertheless, a product that's been sitting in large steel vats for up to a year that loses all its flavour and colour and which then has to have "flavour packs" added to it to restore those elements. Nothing about that on the label so people are being hoodwinked on a daily basis.

It's a crap world at present and we simply have to spend the time getting educated.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

06-01-2019, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Being of slim build, I've never worried about the sugar (or fat) content of the food I eat. I like sugar that's for sure.

If my fitness or weight had suffered because of not caring, I suppose I'd have changed my diet but I've kept a reasonably slim figure despite probable excesses.
Presumably your excellent result there is in part a product of your penchant for cycling?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 01:34 PM

I see government are now saying restaurant meals should be no more than 951 calories, that's a days calories for some people, but where did they snatch that figure from ? it appears a completely made up figure to me.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

06-01-2019, 02:13 PM

Nanny state if so. All they really need to do is stop cow towing to the food manufacturers and taking the bribes. If they establish proper labelling laws and put a limit on the amounts of sugar that can be placed in products and ban sugar from going is certain categories of product then the world will be a better place. Not gonna happen though.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Presumably your excellent result there is in part a product of your penchant for cycling?
I think cycling would have something to do with it ..plus the job I did had a physical aspect to it as well (lugging CRT colour televisions about).

Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top