Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 08:57 PM

Re: Painters And Decorators Deserve A Medal!

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
Oh yeah...the dreaded perparation before you can lift a brush or roller...
The stripping, cleaning, filling, sanding, more filling and more sanding... and more cleaning...
We renovated houses for a few years and I was chief stripper and decorator. I never liked using a roller, always got covered in paint freckles and also I found it used up a lot more paint than a brush. BTW, If you haven't finished using the roller but have had enough for the day, just cover it in clingfilm, it will be fine to use again even after several days

Loving all the banter in this thread Emusional!
Oh Glanny, l wish l had seen your post before I washed the roller. It took me ages and gallons of water to get the paint out of it!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Top tip,
Slightly dampen your roller before painting, helps to even out the paint,
Primus, With hindsight, l wish l had added some water.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

04-04-2020, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Painters And Decorators Deserve A Medal!

Decorators are very modest people Arty, if they were awarded a medal they would wear it 'Under coat'....

Good tip from Primus....
When I'm rolling emulsion I just add a little water into the tray with the paint and mix it in. Only a little bit though (half a cup full) the paint goes on easier and goes further.....Some of the non drip paints are a bit too thick for rolling without the water.
Foxy, ‘Undercoat’ ...very apt!
As l said to Primus, l wish l had added some water as the paint was very thick. Being a novice, l didn’t dare in case it made it too slobbery and it dripped.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Foxy, ‘Undercoat’ ...very apt!
As l said to Primus, l wish l had added some water as the paint was very thick. Being a novice, l didn’t dare in case it made it too slobbery and it dripped.
Trial and error Arty, it's how most of us learn....We'll make a painter out of you yet....
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 09:55 PM

I have a slight advantage, my dad was a painter and decorator,
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

04-04-2020, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Trial and error Arty, it's how most of us learn....We'll make a painter out of you yet....

Foxy, l thought as l was painting, yesterday, there must be more to life than moving your arm up and down at speed!
I found it hard work!
It really could do with another coat and the opposite wall needs painting too.
I find with jobs like that, l tend to put them off and do other jobs instead! Like today, l did lots in the garden instead!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

04-04-2020, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I have a slight advantage, my dad was a painter and decorator,
Primus, You must have been born with the gene, then!
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Primus, You must have been born with the gene, then!
Actually art my dad was very talented, he once drew out a beautiful mural on our lounge wall, but something must have gone wrong as he just painted over it, my son is also a very good artist, ( he also has a degree in graphic design) , I can draw a little bit, but it must have skipped over me,
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2020, 07:07 AM

I threw my roller out the window when I got emulsion on my newly gloss painted woodwork. I didn't need telling that I needed to learn to control Distemper.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2020, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
i threw my roller out the window when i got emulsion on my newly gloss painted woodwork. I didn't need telling that i needed to learn to control distemper.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top