Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 12:03 PM

Re: A seasonal question.

Nope don't send Christmas or birthday cards any more. It's just commercial nonsense predicated on guilt. i.e. Friend A sends you a card so you are obligated to send them a card too. Pretty soon your obligations are far and wide and it becomes a sizable exercise each year to buy, select, write and post loads of cards.

And for what? We just string them up for a few days and then they get thrown out in their billions across the country. Sure you can cut some of them up to make gift tags but by and large this is just an exercise feeding the profits of an industry.

So no, I no longer feed that guilt driven pastime.

Equally I no longer send Christmas presents. The entire family, grandparents, parents, uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces, cousins etc all agreed long ago that we would run what we call the "£5 challenge"

That is to say, all presents bought for each other must not cost any more than £5 each.

Thus one has to be quite discerning about what you buy, as it can be hard to find something relevant and decent for £5.

However it does mean your entire Christmas present outlay is relatively tiny and that's especially good for the younger members of the family who are working and paying off mortgages and other debts and for who Christmas is a financial nightmare.

We operated this £5 challenge for many years quite successfully.

I have since withdrawn from even that so don't buy any presents and in return nobody has to buy presents for us.

It's very liberating I can tell you. Doesn't mean we love anybody any less than we did. Just means we are unshackled from the commercial industry preying on our consciences and guilt.

Now we don't have to worry about Christmas at all. No Christmas shopping to do, no cards or presents to buy and send. We can just enjoy the festive period stress free.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 12:08 PM

Realist, you say - " Now we don't have to worry about Christmas at all. No Christmas shopping to do, no cards or presents to buy and send. We can just enjoy the festive period stress free. "

So what part of Christmas do you enjoy?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 12:11 PM

Apricot, I think you may be a bit late

Carol started a thread on this last month, and we were all moaning about the price of the postage stamps.

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthr...postage+stamps
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Realist, you say - " Now we don't have to worry about Christmas at all. No Christmas shopping to do, no cards or presents to buy and send. We can just enjoy the festive period stress free. "

So what part of Christmas do you enjoy?

Mups, I do think we should give Realist his due. He has posted here before how he spends his Christmas Day, helping to provide a Christmas dinner for the homeless and down and outs in a food kitchen/charity place.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 01:27 PM

Apricot, I think you may be a bit late

Carol started a thread on this last month, and we were all moaning about the price of the postage stamps.

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthr...postage+stamps
Oh No !!

I will have a little grumble about postage stamps then,just to join in lol,lol
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

28-11-2019, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Mups, I do think we should give Realist his due. He has posted here before how he spends his Christmas Day, helping to provide a Christmas dinner for the homeless and down and outs in a food kitchen/charity place.

I won't argue about it Art, it's not worth it.

I was only asking what he enjoys about Christmas, as he didn't say.
The post was mostly about how not to spend anything, though I do agree with not spending vast amounts, like some people do.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
As few as possible thank goodness! Fortunate that family live locally so cards delivered with presents about a week before Christmas. The odd half dozen that get posted go second class, as believe 1st class is priced at around 65p and second class at 56p? My goodness, stamps have become expensive.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 06:22 PM

I won't argue about it Art, it's not worth it.

I was only asking what he enjoys about Christmas, as he didn't say.
The post was mostly about how not to spend anything, though I do agree with not spending vast amounts, like some people do.
Who’s arguing? I’m not!

My intention was to give the man some recognition for giving up his Christmas Day, to help make Christmas Day nicer for some people who are less fortunate than us.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

29-11-2019, 01:19 AM

Who’s arguing? I’m not!

My intention was to give the man some recognition for giving up his Christmas Day, to help make Christmas Day nicer for some people who are less fortunate than us.

Art, he said he bought no cards, no presents and did no Christmas shopping.
The post was all about not spending a penny on anyone. Nothing to do with helping out.

Incidentally, I could be wrong, but I believe Realist has said he used to help serve meals for the homeless once, but no longer does this.
Apologies if I'm wrong.

I guess at the end of the day, we are all entitled to spend Christmas how we want, so I'll say no more.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 09:01 AM

Yes, l send cards to friends and relatives.
As l’ve mentioned on here before, l don’t have to buy stamps. I always ask for postage stamps for Christmas and my birthdays, instead of receiving presents l’ll never use.

You just sorted my sister's Christmas present Arty...thanks

I don't send many by post anymore...hand deliver and modern technology have taken over .

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top