Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2019, 11:34 PM

Potato & celery soup

I've made this yummy soup tonight and it's gone down really well so thought I'd share.

ingredients :

3 medium potatoes
1 medium onion
3 sticks of celery
1-2 bay leaves (I used fresh from the garden)
chicken stock 2 pints or so (Kallo organic)
baby button mushrooms (sliced)
salt & pepper to taste
grated fresh parmesan

Method :

chop onions finely, peel and cut potatoes into small cubes, chop celery.

Fry onions in a generous portion of butter until sweated but not too browned. Add the potato and chopped celery and stir. Fry for about five mins. Add the stock and the bay leaves then simmer for about twenty to twenty five mins.

In the meantime fry the mushrooms in butter until crisped and golden.

Once the vegetables are soft and the stock has risen to the surface puree with a hand blender. Serve with the mushrooms and a generous sprinkling of parmesan.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 05:12 AM

Re: Potato & celery soup

Sounds good, Annie - what variety of potatoes do you find are best in soups?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 09:46 AM

Hi Last Tango, I used Maris Piper for this but I do like desiree. They are a bit pricey just now.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 10:29 AM

Thank you - shopping today so will pick up the necessary ingredients, as it is certainly "soup weather" now.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 11:24 AM

This sounds delish.

Once the vegetables are soft and the stock has risen to the surface puree with a hand blender.
Old trick .... remove something like 1/4 of it, blend the rest, return what you've removed to the pot. Leaving you with a smooth soup consistency with a few lumps of potato & celery visible in each serving.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

29-10-2019, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
This sounds delish.
Old trick .... remove something like 1/4 of it, blend the rest, return what you've removed to the pot. Leaving you with a smooth soup consistency with a few lumps of potato & celery visible in each serving.
Hi Dood, if you use a hand blender it's really easy because you do it all in the saucepan and you don't have to pour any hot liquid into the blender. Using the hand blender you can leave a few lumps because you have more control. You just have to be careful to keep it below the surface.

I've been so happy since I discovered how flexible these little contraptions are. Also very little to wash up!

The nice thing about this particular soup is that it's really creamy but with no added cream. It's funny how some vegetables create that rich cream illusion when combined.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Hi Dood, if you use a hand blender it's really easy because you do it all in the saucepan and you don't have to pour any hot liquid into the blender. Using the hand blender you can leave a few lumps because you have more control. You just have to be careful to keep it below the surface.

I've been so happy since I discovered how flexible these little contraptions are. Also very little to wash up!

The nice thing about this particular soup is that it's really creamy but with no added cream. It's funny how some vegetables create that rich cream illusion when combined.
Yes, of course, I know what you mean, I'd forgotten about the hand blender technique.

I do most of the cooking at home, but Ms d00d always likes to take charge of the soup.

Re your above recipe ... we do something similar but without the chicken stock, just water, salt, pepper and freshly ground nutmeg goes well.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

29-10-2019, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Yes, of course, I know what you mean, I'd forgotten about the hand blender technique.

I do most of the cooking at home, but Ms d00d always likes to take charge of the soup.

Re your above recipe ... we do something similar but without the chicken stock, just water, salt, pepper and freshly ground nutmeg goes well.
I was thinking of nutmeg too. May try that next time!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I've made this yummy soup tonight and it's gone down really well so thought I'd share.

ingredients :

3 medium potatoes
1 medium onion
3 sticks of celery
1-2 bay leaves (I used fresh from the garden)
chicken stock 2 pints or so (Kallo organic)
baby button mushrooms (sliced)
salt & pepper to taste
grated fresh parmesan

Method :

chop onions finely, peel and cut potatoes into small cubes, chop celery.

Fry onions in a generous portion of butter until sweated but not too browned. Add the potato and chopped celery and stir. Fry for about five mins. Add the stock and the bay leaves then simmer for about twenty to twenty five mins.

In the meantime fry the mushrooms in butter until crisped and golden.

Once the vegetables are soft and the stock has risen to the surface puree with a hand blender. Serve with the mushrooms and a generous sprinkling of parmesan.
Passed on to my dear wife. Thank you.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 08:58 PM

Sounds good Annie.
Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top