Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 07:19 AM

sheppard's pie--- mashed potatoes

I am curious about how others make their Sheppard's Pie. The last time I made it, the mashed potato topping did not come out right. I made my mashed potatoes the way I always do: butter, light cream, salt and spooned that on top of the "pie" before it went into the oven. Potatoes did not taste at all good. any ideas of what it takes to make the potatoes taste right ?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 08:21 AM

Re: sheppard's pie--- mashed potatoes

I make 'Cottage Pie', Bakerman. Much the same but with beef instead of shepherds - they can be a bit tough! When I make the mash I use either Maris Piper or Bartlett potatoes and add a teaspoon of English mustard and/or a handful of grated cheese. Very tasty.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 09:15 AM

Where I am there are no Maris Piper or Bartlett potatoes. I have access to Russet and also baby "new" potatoes. English mustard ? I'm not sure but I doubt it is available. There is however, brown mustard. Similar to English mustard? The selection of cheeses is also extremely poor here in Mexico. Cheddar mild/medium/sharp/extra sharp. provolone, mozzarella and of course dried parmesan, all are available. As far as the meat goes, I use beef so I guess it should be called "cottage pie". My way of preparing the beef results in an extremely tender meat.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 10:53 AM

Hi Bakerman - russets should be fine, they mash well. I don't think the baby new potatoes would though - but have to admit I have not tried. English mustard is bright yellow and quite hot - brown mustard is similar to the french stuff - dijon - a bit weak, in my opinion, but it wouldn't do for us all to like the same..

Your extra strong cheddar should be OK - with a little ground black pepper perhaps.
bakerman
Mexico

27-12-2019, 10:59 AM

Ah, English mustard is bright yellow. Now I'm certain that it is not available. Yes, I do think extra sharp cheddar would be best.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 11:27 AM

nice to see you back Bakerman. I missed you.

I use mustard in my mash too with black pepper a little salt and some grated cheese. I then put a light topping of grate cheese on top of the pie and cook till nice and brown.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 02:06 PM

I am the same as the others. I use potatoes that are suitable for mashing and add butter, a little milk, then cheese on the top.
Some people add a tin of baked beans to the minced meat but l wouldn’t fancy that.
bakerman
Mexico

27-12-2019, 10:18 PM

Thank you, one and all. I will most definitely be using cheese in my mashed and I'll also try some mustard. PS: I did not know that using beef also changes the name of the dish to Cottage Pie. Never too old to learn something new.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 11:26 PM

Shepherd's Pie is made with lamb, Cottage Pie is made with beef.
bakerman
Mexico

28-12-2019, 01:09 AM

Just out of curiosity, is Cottage pie or Sheppard's Pie always made with minced (ground) meat or is it ever made with small strips/chunks of meat ? I don't recall ever seeing it on any menu in the U.S.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top