Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 06:17 PM

Re: Intel NUC

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Odd that it doesn't have a built in DVD but probably better to use an external one anyway. Tbh, I very rarely use my DVD player on the laptop anyway.
I find a lot of programs these days, free or paid, come as downloads rather than on DVDs. Those that don't can be transferred from DVDs to a USB (or other) drive providing there's a DVD drive available somewhere in the hardware you own.

If it's a film, I'd be more likely to watch it on the TV and DVD/Blu-ray player than on the computer.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I had to look again to notice the pen. That is so small.
Actually, it is quite large. It's just a very big pen.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Actually, it is quite large. It's just a very big pen.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

28-07-2020, 10:02 PM

I've been so pleased with this computer running Windows 10 Home that I just bought another with the same specifications and from the same Ebay seller.

This one has replaced an old full-sized tower running Linux Mint (Cinnamon). Just finished installing Mint on the new (to me) NUC and done some setting up. A fast little thing with its 250GB SSD, 16GB of RAM and Intel 6000 onboard graphics.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 03:51 AM

Cute!

What a coincidence I just bought a new computer but mine has lots of lights and makes a pen look small.

i7 chip
16Gb Ram
500Gb SSD
2Tb HDD

...and a very sophisticated graphics card that I don't need. I only bought it because it was an EOFY special but it is very fast and I am pretty pleased with it.

I have an Android box a similar size (perhaps smaller?) to your new computer but I rarely use it as my TV does the same job better.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	200706 012 New Computer Legion.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	13385  
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

29-07-2020, 06:59 AM

That looks a nice item to have bought Bruce

I thought I'd always prefer towers but since experiencing the efficiency and silence of the NUC (one barely audible fan), I don't think I'll be buying towers from now on.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
That looks a nice item to have bought Bruce

I thought I'd always prefer towers but since experiencing the efficiency and silence of the NUC (one barely audible fan), I don't think I'll be buying towers from now on.
I have a few laptops which I use (I am typing on one now) but I personally prefer the tower if for no other reason than it is easy to add extras such as more HDDs and interfaces. Towers still provide more bang for your buck I think and for me space is not an issue. .

As it happens one of the claims made about this Legion computer is its silence, it is sold as a gaming computer but that seems to make it lightning fast at more mundane tasks. I haven't heard the processor fan cut in yet and to be honest computer noise is not a matter I have ever considered. However I should add that, after many decades in heavy industry, my hearing is somewhat impaired anyway.

I like the look of your box however its size does pose limitations on its use I would imagine.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

30-07-2020, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I have a few laptops which I use (I am typing on one now) but I personally prefer the tower if for no other reason than it is easy to add extras such as more HDDs and interfaces. Towers still provide more bang for your buck I think and for me space is not an issue. .

As it happens one of the claims made about this Legion computer is its silence, it is sold as a gaming computer but that seems to make it lightning fast at more mundane tasks. I haven't heard the processor fan cut in yet and to be honest computer noise is not a matter I have ever considered. However I should add that, after many decades in heavy industry, my hearing is somewhat impaired anyway.

I like the look of your box however its size does pose limitations on its use I would imagine.
All good points Bruce, especially the last one. I'm sure it won't be as good as a tower for some computer uses. I was a bit worried about this to start with.

I do a bit of gaming but not heavy stuff. Hidden object, jig-saws, solitaire, adventure games and the like. I like them to be not only functional but also pleasing graphically. 3D effects and lots of detail.

(The leaves are moving in the game, as if blowing in the wind.)

As well as being OK for all other household computer needs, the NUC has coped with this fine. I'm kind of surprised at this myself. I only bought the first one for being secondary to my tower but find I use it all the time now. Hence buying another for Linux.

There's going to be something it won't handle but I haven't come across it with my own computer usage yet.

Edit: Something worth a mention. What's inside the basic box differs a lot as regards specifications. Intel NUCs are not all the same.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top