Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 12:47 PM

Re: Typewriters

Let's not forget the more important stuff about typewriters....Columbo caught one murderer and freaked out another through the use of a clues left on typewriters
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 01:03 PM

Strangely enough, I had a go at typing without looking at the keys yesterday. You would think that after approximately twenty years of using a keyboard, my fingers would remember where the letters are. The result.....

It cawme auy s bio hnks yhis (It came out a bit like this)

Shocking!!!!!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Strangely enough, I had a go at typing without looking at the keys yesterday. You would think that after approximately twenty years of using a keyboard, my fingers would remember where the letters are. The result.....

It cawme auy s bio hnks yhis (It came out a bit like this)

Shocking!!!!!
You've either got a very dodgy spell checker or someone has moved all the keys!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 08:01 PM

I remember my Dad's office had typewriters.

My sister did a course in typewriting and is now very fast on a computer keyboard.

When leaving school, I nearly went into an apprenticeship with a typewriter supply and repair company.

My first wife did a home course that involved covering up the keys with coloured caps and learning by colours.

I had a correction ribbon typewriter about 25 years ago. It was the many mistakes made on this that eventually made me buy a computer so I could use a word processor.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
You've either got a very dodgy spell checker or someone has moved all the keys!
What was it that Eric Morcombe said? Oh yes, "I'm playing all the right notes, just not necessarily in the right order" or words to that effect.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 04:23 PM

Many moons ago I used to type on a manual typewriter whilst receiving morse code over headphones, it became a lot easier when computer/ electric keyboards came into use. I still have an electric typewriter somewhere in the attic, no doubt a home for spiders now
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 04:44 PM

I started freelancing in corporate events in '91, would post the odd little brochure to a client with my sticky label on the back and a note scrawled on a compliment slip. I soon invested in a Brother electric typewriter with a little display that showed what I'd typed before hitting the Return key at the end of the line when a whole line of text was printed. A brief letter took forever, and my two fingered method is used to this day.

Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
Only ever saw one golf ball type typewriter and that's when I was at college. Never tried to use it though because to me it just looked weird.

One thing I do remember about my typing classes is the use of Tippex and before that the double ended pencil eraser that had a smooth end for removing pencil lead and a rough end for removing ink and the frustration of having to start all over again when you tried to erase the typing error but went to hard with the eraser and it tore a tiny hole in the paper!!!
Haha, yes, the holes in the paper, especially the copy! Tippex was a boon, well the liquid was a bind if you put too much on or if it was too thick.

BTW I was reminded of your comments about 60wpm typing test - was this you by any chance?

TYPING TEST ON 1911 UNDERWOOD 5
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I still possess several vintage typewriters, including one like this:

IIRC, typists of the '80's were encouraged to "Cover your boobs with Snopake" .....

Omah... I can't see anything
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

10-07-2020, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
When I was working at the Settlers Museum in Waipawa New Zealand, we sometimes had school groups through and we laid out old things they could touch and play with like butter churns, washboard, wringers and typewriters. The kids could type their names etc on a piece of paper in the typewriter.
One of the most frequent comments from them was "Where's the delete button? "

Poor lad, I can almost see his confusion

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top