Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 09:44 PM

Re: Windows 10 Cumulative Updates KB4565503 & KB4565483 Released

Originally Posted by mart ->
I often have a look around when problems are mentioned to see if it's a general one or if it's only happening to an individual system. Not to say there aren't other reports of this one but if there are, I haven't found them yet.

I remember a while back, there were some inexpensive copies of MS Office on Ebay and you had bought one? Sorry if that's wrong but if so, I wonder if it might be to do with that?

If not already done, maybe turning off the option to 'Receive updates for other Microsoft products when you update Windows' in Windows Update's advanced settings might prevent Outlook being changed.
No. My copy of Office Pro is legit. The receive other products options was one of the first things I disabled when I got this PC with Win10 already installed. Got rid of a lot more bloat too.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 10:41 AM

Windows 10 updates KB4565503 & KB4565483 fail to install, cause Outlook failure for many.

https://thewincentral.com/windows-10...by-some-users/
Taskbar search issue, Black screen, chrome crashes reported by some users, e.g.:
  • KB4565503 repeatedly downloads, reaches 100%, installs, and then immediately starts downloading and installing again – repeatedly ad infinitum
  • Had two automatic updates by Microsoft this morning (KB4565633 & KB4565483). After restarting the computer, Outlook will open only in safe mode. The error message I get is “Outlook couldn’t start last time. Safe mode could help you troubleshoot the problem, but some features might not be available in this mode. Do you want to start in safe mode?”
Outlook will not remain open

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...f-15019ceacc21
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 10:10 PM

Thanks for that Omah - I've added that site to my favourites in case of future cock-ups by MS.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2020, 10:10 AM

I often have a look around when problems are mentioned to see if it's a general one or if it's only happening to an individual system. Not to say there aren't other reports of this one but if there are, I haven't found them yet.

I remember a while back, there were some inexpensive copies of MS Office on Ebay and you had bought one? Sorry if that's wrong but if so, I wonder if it might be to do with that?

If not already done, maybe turning off the option to 'Receive updates for other Microsoft products when you update Windows' in Windows Update's advanced settings might prevent Outlook being changed.
After a few years of using downloaded (Ebay) copies of office, and lots of problems either because they were simply log in Keys, many of which were put on the web by employees of firms who did not use all of their keys in corporate Office packages, and where those keys, or the software packed up within months as MS spotted the use of these keys, and blocked them, I gave up.

Having discovered that the Office 365 full version for multiple PCs was only , around, 50 Quid a year (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/micr...%3aoverviewtab) I went that way - peace and quiet, for around a quid a week, across my 3 systems.

If I don't like it any more, I can just cancel the subscription. No Brainer!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2020, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Thanks for that Omah - I've added that site to my favourites in case of future cock-ups by MS.
Judd,

Are you using Chrome?

Seems to get some mentions in that link.

Google & MS have not always been Friends!

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2020, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
After a few years of using downloaded (Ebay) copies of office, and lots of problems either because they were simply log in Keys, many of which were put on the web by employees of firms who did not use all of their keys in corporate Office packages, and where those keys, or the software packed up within months as MS spotted the use of these keys, and blocked them, I gave up.
My copy of Microsoft Office 2016 Professional Plus, bought via Amazon in 2017 for £18.45, has, IIRC, performed flawlessly, so I don't intend to replace that on my existing Windows Desktop .....

Having discovered that the Office 365 full version for multiple PCs was only , around, 50 Quid a year (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/micr...%3aoverviewtab) I went that way - peace and quiet, for around a quid a week, across my 3 systems.
For my next PC, that is definitely an option I will consider, although I note it's now called Microsoft 365 Personal and costs £59.99 per year or £5.99 per month .....
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

19-07-2020, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
My copy of Microsoft Office 2016 Professional Plus, bought via Amazon in 2017 for £18.45, has, IIRC, performed flawlessly, so I don't intend to replace that on my existing Windows Desktop .....

For my next PC, that is definitely an option I will consider, although I note it's now called Microsoft 365 Personal and costs £59.99 per year or £5.99 per month .....
Yes, but it appears that the 59.99 one is for 1 person now.
(Can't find whether 1 person means 1 PC or 1 person with several PCs - buyers might check that out!)
The 79.99 one now looks better value & they have moved me up to it, from the 59.99 one for free (I think).

The £79,00 one looks better as it is for, up to, 6 people.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

19-07-2020, 12:55 PM

Everything is OK on the two W.10 computers that have had the update. A couple more to go.

One extra step I noticed with this update. It gave the message that it was 'cleaning up'. I don't think I've had that one before. It might have been to do with the Windows.old folder being deleted. I read this happens a month after a major update. If that's what's meant by 'cleaning up', I suppose that would take quite a time.

It didn't take very long in my case because I'd already deleted the folder using Windows 'Clean up system files' shortly after updating to version 2004.
I think this reminds us that the size of Windows 10 probably is growing with most of the extra "benefits" which are put into it, these days.

We seem to have reached a stage where the download has to have a sniff at the drive to make sure that it is big enough, and tidy enough, to download onto it and then do the transition without getting stuck or falling over old update/upgrade debris.

A bit like cleaning out the garage.

Maybe they'll soon be telling us the minimum Boot Disk size will have to be changed before long!

In the meantime we seem to hear about stop & starts, during downloads, as if they are stopping the download, to clear space, and then going on.

They've always done some of this but it seems to be getting more apparent. (Maybe stuff from Google is big as well?)
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

19-07-2020, 12:59 PM

Yes, but it appears that the 59.99 one is for 1 person now.
(Can't find whether 1 person means 1 PC or 1 person with several PCs - buyers might check that out!)
Apparently:

With Microsoft 365 Personal you can:

• Access and share files and photos across your devices
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

19-07-2020, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Apparently:
Agreed, but files and photos are data.

The one i have had on, this last year gave me several keys for one subscription.

I think that might only be for the 79.99 version now!

However, 79.99 a year is not bad if you can use up to 6 PCs for that money!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top