Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 07:56 AM

Border Control

Hi

An interesting view on the current state of play and what we still have to do.

https://www.conservativehome.com/the...-pressure.html
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 10:22 AM

Re: Border Control

Morning Swimmy, interesting article indeed. I won’t even make an excuse about knowing much about the in’s and out’s of security of our borders. I can only see it as I do as a British citizen looking on.

I will say though, Isn’t it always the way. From day one after we voted to leave, the Home Office should have been walking into their offices the next day, determined to start on the vitally important forward planning that would be needed to prepare and fix our ridiculous porous borders. We the public could plainly see what was wrong, but it’s not us that determines, is it?

Let’s start with who was in office at the time - We had Theresa May as Home Sec during Cameron’s reign, then Rudd as Home Sec during Theresa May’s reign.plus a Civil Service run by Jeremy Heywood who was ordered not to assist the leave camp during the Referendum campaign. We even had Javid, a so-called ‘reformed former ‘Remainer in charge of dealing with this huge problem. What does that tell you? ’

With these Remain snakes in the grass, Boris didn’t have much of a legacy handed to him in the first place. He certainly wasn’t handed a far advanced plan of action for the complete protection and security of our borders, was he? Yet he seems to get all the flack and ridicule because of the lack of action needed now. He has had years of the opposition and the establishment doing all in their power to put every obstacle in his way.

Now, we have Priti Patel in charge. At least she is someone who doesn’t take any crap from those who want to see the UK fall on our faces. The opportunity to cause as much mischief as possible by the French (and being paid by us at the same time) doesn’t help either. It’s all grist to the mill when it comes to the blame game with the present PM.

When it comes to the boat people problem, whether they are referred to as asylum seekers, refugees, ‘illegals or with the majority, simply queue jumpers, It is a constant uphill battle, and Priti is often seen by the remain supporting media delighting in accusing her of talking the talk and not walking the walk, which I think is grossly unfair.

However, I sometimes wonder, after years of the motley crew being in charge of preparations for the protection and security of our borders, whether it should even be under the remit of the Home Office. I personally feel that the security of our borders is as important now as it was with preparations made at the beginning of WW2!! We are on our own now, so if ever there was a time needed when every single security professional body in the land (barring Group 4!!) should have been called in for advice and action, this was and no doubt still is, the time. But hey ho, everything is as it normally is. Chaos!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 10:26 AM

Key factors identified in the past that have led to programme failures include a lack of clear vision and direction, inconsistent leadership, ineffective public/private sector engagement, and governance. It is vital that we learn these lessons now.

Left it all too late, the money being borrowed eye-watering, still muddle and getting nowhere.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Not a new problem it seems: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...rongly-delayed

But be fair, nobody could have seen covid problems coming: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-border-checks

Government plans to install 500 border staff. That must be on top of the necessary 50.000 customs officers, needed to handle the 400 million extra customs forms. To think brexit was also meant to cut all the red tape from brussels. Instead it only increases. Civil service must be happy with all these fruitful hours spent on reading, archiving all the paperwork. https://www.euronews.com/2020/07/12/...-border-checks
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Not a new problem it seems: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...rongly-delayed

But be fair, nobody could have seen covid problems coming: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-border-checks

Government plans to install 500 border staff. That must be on top of the necessary 50.000 customs officers, needed to handle the 400 million extra customs forms. To think brexit was also meant to cut all the red tape from brussels. Instead it only increases. Civil service must be happy with all these fruitful hours spent on reading, archiving all the paperwork. https://www.euronews.com/2020/07/12/...-border-checks
Hi

Covid has sod all to do with it.

May was advised on day one.

She choose to ignore it.

Boris was also advised on day one of him becoming PM and he choose to ignore it as well.

It was not an insoluble problem.

Unfortunately we are not blessed with intelligent Politicians.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 02:02 PM

Hi

Calais is ready for Brexit

Monstrous traffic jams for the entrance of the Euro tunnel? In Calais they are not concerned about Brexit. The city hopes for a "duty free" status, because an impulse from the shopping British is welcome.

Bernard hopes to relive old times. Because until 1999 it was possible to shop tax-free in Calais. The mayor and president of the region are pushing for a resurrection of this duty-free zone.
That would be wonderful, "said Philippe de Villiers, director of Calais Promotion, an agency set up to drive economic activity. Calais has long been plagued by the migrant problem and high unemployment (27%) and could use a boost. In the time of duty free, De Villiers knows, "buses full of British" came to Calais to stock up on drinks and cigarettes.

The lobby for the zone is not too noisy. The ferry to Calais used to be known as the "Booze Cruise" and the idea that Calais wants to earn from visitors looking for a lot of cheap alcohol should be avoided. De Villiers is not so afraid of damage to the image. "There is a lot going on in the tourist area here; Calais will have a real boulevard on which a giant mechanical dragon will parade and a large skate park. We see a duty free zone as one of the assets of the new Calais, but it should not be the only reason to stay here for a while. "
https://fd.nl/achtergrond/1336705/ca...voor-de-brexit
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

17-07-2020, 02:06 PM

Hi

She choose to ignore it.

Boris was also advised on day one of him becoming PM and he choose to ignore it as well.

Only on the french side of the tunnel.

But Channel Tunnel Manager Getlink has a reassuring message for all pessimists. "The Pit stop is currently handling twenty trucks in six to eight minutes," said spokesperson Anne-Laure Desclèves. And it will remain so. "Also in the case of a no-deal. We have recruited more staff so that we can carry out the freight check at the same time as the migrant check. That way you don't lose time. "

In collaboration with customs, an app was devised with which the check can be carried out in the blink of an eye. If you enter the registration number of a car, you will immediately see whether the freight has previously been declared online at customs. The carriers - for 80% of the chunnel's habitants - have already been extensively informed about this procedure.

The cost of the intelligent border is € 30 million, which includes the expansion of the Pit stop with three new lanes. The only problem, according to Desclèves, are the small carriers who don't take the tunnel often and are not aware of it. These cars are taken out of line and directed to a new customs center, which is also intended to inspect trucks from the UK with live or perishable goods. The route to this is indicated by orange stripes on the road.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 02:17 PM

Hi

She choose to ignore it.

I fully agree.

There are workable solutions. Even I, who know sod all about the subject, have suggested what I consider an ideal solution: in short, to make the UK less attractive than France!

Yes, I know the do-gooders would jump up and down in rage, but I don't care about them.

The government has a strong working majority and should be able to do pretty much what they want.
But they don't.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

17-07-2020, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I fully agree.

There are workable solutions. Even I, who know sod all about the subject, have suggested what I consider an ideal solution: in short, to make the UK less attractive than France!

Yes, I know the do-gooders would jump up and down in rage, but I don't care about them.

The government has a strong working majority and should be able to do pretty much what they want.
But they don't.
Hi

I totally agree JBR.

It is very frustrating when we cannot do the sensible thing.

Unfortunately Pritti Patel has turned out to be even more incompetent than May.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 03:26 PM

Hi

I totally agree JBR.

It is very frustrating when we cannot do the sensible thing.

Unfortunately Pritti Patel has turned out to be even more incompetent than May.
Oh, come on. Be fair. No-one's that bad!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top