Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 02:18 PM

Re: Autodidacticism

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Try not to do too much hard thinking nowadays, and have great trouble applying meself, the mind tends to wander off.

Yes, I've noticed . .

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 02:23 PM

Stopped being interested in Maths when realising a Logarithm would in due course, be superseded by a Algorithm.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, I've noticed . .

, The result of a thinking overload.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
A philomath is a lover of learning and studying (and not just maths).
Yep, I knew that. Was referring to the posts which honed in on maths
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
As some of you might recall, I make a bit of an income from private (maths) tuition. A couple of years ago this necessitated me to study Statistics up to A level standard due the new specifications, which was a branch of maths that I have avoided throughout my entire life (my own A levels, Maths degree and teaching beyond the basics in schools). In total, it's probably taken me around 15 hours of study, plus another 15 hours of thinking about things while dozing off, plus another 10 or so hours working through past paper questions. Think I could answer most problems now up to said standard apart from some nuanced/subtle ones.

With that in mind, have any of you done any "hard" studying recently beyond the usual run of the mill stuff?
I don't know whether it can be called 'hard study' but I have done several of the free FutureLearn short courses on a range of topics including: Richard III, Jane Austen, Tudor Dynasty and 'Identifying the Dead' (a course about forensic science methodology) ... all for pleasure and to keep my old brain active! It is possible to obtain a certificate at the end of each course but I haven't bothered with that.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 03:31 PM

The ONLY thing that Mr BLiar and I ever agreed on was "education, education, education". The more the merrier if you ask me. It only took me about 15 years to complete my Masters degree (finally awarded late last year). I have since been asked by the Universiti Sains Malaysia to read for a PhD but have refused, I can't take any more study, my brain seems to have dislocated itself from that field of endeavour.

As for general maths, algebra, trigonometry and statistics, I don't have any problems but, put a calculus problem in front of me and I'm off at a rate of knots.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 03:48 PM

I’m not clever...(I went to a Catholic School) but I can lift heavy fings
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
'Horses for courses' as they say I married a man who had a brilliant mathematical mind and that is no exaggeration, not many pupils age 14 get offered a place to study at Cambridge.
On the other hand he lacked practical common sense, put a paintbrush in his hand and the end result would make any DIY minded person weep.

I haven't a brain that is wired for maths or academic study, the thought of maths makes my brain cease to function from fear but I have managed to build a 15ft kitchen from scratch (minus the electrics and plumbing) lay tile floors,tile walls, paint and paper to a high standard,cook and sew. I don't like sitting still studying anything, I am more at home in wellingtons walking the muddy fields,training dogs, pulling sheep out of hedges.

I think we need all kinds of people in this world, the academically gifted and the practical and they complement each other .
Truth!

I enjoyed reading this so, so much and have such an appreciation for you and your pursuits, Meg.

Someone once said that interesting people are interested people. I am ever interested in people that know about or can do something that I can't. As a result, I have a lot of friends.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 04:25 PM

A great philosophy
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 04:28 PM

Dextrous, not necessarily by choice, I have had to re-learn high school and university material so I could tutor my daughter. What surprises me is how much easier and interesting all this material is in 50s than it was in my teens and 20s. I suspect that it is because I have the life experience to connect it to, and because I have so much more respect for the knowledge than I did in my younger years.

I've also been working on learning the mathematics related to cosmology and quantum mechanics. My mind feels think as a brick working through it most times , but I am nothing if not determined.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top