Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 06:53 PM

Re: Swearing / foul language

Talking of comedians, I really like Lee Evans
and Sarah Millican however, I can only watch their "family" shows as the swearing in adult shows makes them unfunny!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 07:26 PM

For some these days, swear words are a natural part of their vocabulary. I hate to hear a woman swear during conversation but maybe these days, that is me being sexist?!!

I might mutter something under my breath at a slow driver, or if something happens unexpectedly and the surprise causes me to say a naughty word.
I would never swear during a conversation or ever utter the ‘see you next Tuesday’ swear word as that’s the worst one.

l bet, face masks have hidden a few swear words lately! You can swear at people to your heart’s content in public places!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Susan
Swaering is now the accepted normal way of speaking
Not in my house! I have asked people to moderate their language or leave before now.

It is like 'Junk Food' of the English Language
What an excellent analogy!

How lovely to hear an eloquent orator who can say a whole sentence without one F....!
It is, indeed, a joy. Unfortunately there are few about!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 07:30 PM

The problem is people have no respect .
It’s like being called by ones first name by someone young enough to be ones grandchild .
What’s wrong with Mrs ?
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 07:54 PM

Hi everyone . It's interesting to read your posts and I doubt I'll change my feelings but I do like to know others ways and thoughts .

My mum used to call us kids little Bs as in Bees . We thought she meant buzzy bees , we never knew she meant B .....DS ......

I never swore in front of my children and my grown up kids dont swear either. Well not in front of me .
I'm just out of sync with this fast materialistic modern life which feels self indulgent and disrespectful to me .

One really old lady told me she was walking down a lane , a kid of maybe 11 rode past her and shouted " F off outa the way granny " so so sad , who or what will he grow up to be .

Thank you
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Hi everyone . It's interesting to read your posts and I doubt I'll change my feelings but I do like to know others ways and thoughts .

My mum used to call us kids little Bs as in Bees . We thought she meant buzzy bees , we never knew she meant B .....DS ......

I never swore in front of my children and my grown up kids dont swear either. Well not in front of me .
I'm just out of sync with this fast materialistic modern life which feels self indulgent and disrespectful to me .

One really old lady told me she was walking down a lane , a kid of maybe 11 rode past her and shouted " F off outa the way granny " so so sad , who or what will he grow up to be .

Thank you
But did she?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
The problem is people have no respect .
It’s like being called by ones first name by someone young enough to be ones grandchild .
What’s wrong with Mrs ?
That irritates me too. A few days ago when I was ordering a new. Mattress (a proper one) the counter hop on the 'phone asked "OK to call you Roger?".

I usually don't bother and just say "sure" --- but there was something smug in his tone.

"I would prefer Dr *****" I snarled.

His whole tone changed thereafter.

Got a good discount too!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 08:24 PM

Thank you
A BMW driver?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 08:33 PM

Swearing is only thought or muttered quietly. Not often even then. The swearing volume might get turned up if I hurt myself and think no one else is around. There mostly isn't.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 08:54 PM

I can say every swear word going if I'm angry , upset or fed up , I can even add the off F word to enhance my feelings when with friends but I never say a bad swear word in front on my grandchildren or any child or family members.

Yet a friend says the F word numerous times in her sentences seeming to her normal talk .
Yes, you hear that frequently on the telly, both in plays and even in news reports and documentaries.

I believe those who do it are obliged to do it simply because they don't have much of a command of the English language. Consequently, when they want to stress something, the only means of doing so is to interpose the 'F' word between every other word.

I exaggerate not.

"Where the F have you Fing been, you Fing Fer?"

There's nowt clever about it, which is patently obvious when you happen to see the visage of the speaker involved.

Having said that. I might say it once when I've hit my finger with a hammer, but only when I'm alone.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top