Join for free
Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2020, 07:47 PM

Re: Thunderstorms

Oops, just looked it up, and it seems I was wrong about car tyres protecting us.
More info here:

https://www.arnoldclark.com/newsroom...ightning-storm
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2020, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
They were saying that on the telly not long ago Todger.
Not sure now, but would it be because the rubber tyres act like insulation?
I think they said try not to lean against the metal doors though.
Not the tyres, the metal box it comprises of. Actually the tyres are conductive. The tyre material is loaded with something like carbon in order to achieve that conductivity.

Remember the flexible but of rubber folk often had connected to the body of their car the other end of which touched the road supposedly to counter car sickness?

Absolutely no point, the tyres were getting rid of any static as they ran but what the hell, made folk feel good.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2020, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Not the tyres, the metal box it comprises of. Actually the tyres are conductive. The tyre material is loaded with something like carbon in order to achieve that conductivity.

Remember the flexible but of rubber folk often had connected to the body of their car the other end of which touched the road supposedly to counter car sickness?

Absolutely no point, the tyres were getting rid of any static as they ran but what the hell, made folk feel good.

Gosh, that takes me back. Yes, I do remember those from when I was a kid. Loads of cars had them hanging down from the back end somewhere usually.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2020, 08:31 PM

I enjoy thunderstorms very much
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

10-08-2020, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I enjoy thunderstorms very much

Do you Bratti? I don't. They give me the willies.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2020, 09:24 PM

Yes. Not perfectly safe because the faraday cage is incomplete and with exceptionally high fast lightning discharge an electric field will be created within the partial cage and discharges take place due to capacity effects that can be sufficient to create an air discharge. It's highly unlikely to occur in nature but it is a factor to be taken account in the case of the design and construction or even use of high energy cyclotrons.

Gawd the rubbish a person learns, never makes use of, but just can't forget!
On the contrary, a metal-bodied car is a safe place during a thunderstorm. Any electrical field will exist around the Faraday cage and there will be no discharge within the car.

You might hear a big bang, though.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2020, 09:28 PM

Storms don’t bother me, nor my dog. Thankfully.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2020, 09:32 PM

There has been no sign of rain, let alone any thunderstorms.

But, of course, they do say that the sun shines on the righteous.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2020, 09:56 PM

Wrong Todger......
Modern fabrics and plastics (especially after exposure to heat from sunlight) can hold a static charge waiting for the unsuspecting occupant to climb out and discharge the metal frame of the car through the hand that goes to close the door.....

Before placing the foot on the ground, always grasp the metal frame of the door firmly, and the static charge will be harmlessly discharged to earth through your shoe.....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2020, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
On the contrary, a metal-bodied car is a safe place during a thunderstorm. Any electrical field will exist around the Faraday cage and there will be no discharge within the car.

You might hear a big bang, though.
I'm talking about massive discharges, not just a poxy little lightning discharge (!).

The effect even applies to a metal sphere wherein the steady state field within the sphere is of course zero BUT where very very fast pulses are involved with very high currents there is a very short period while the sphere charges and it is in that time that a changing field takes place.

It's bloody fast and to all intents of no practical value or significance where a car is thumped with a lightning bolt but once you get into the nitty gritty --- and it's a bloody good exam question along with possible applications and effects! Fission bomb design is one area that this has relevance.

Probably not much use in a car during an electric storm though unless ball lighting ?

(And that's not some form of localised weight loss!)

Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top