Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2015, 06:55 PM

Re: Fancy an Apple Mac?

Originally Posted by Realist ->
"Fancy an Apple Mac?"

Nope. Never fancied any of Apple's computer offerings. Why? Because they insist on using proprietary standards and protocols in order to make you pay for things that should be freely available.

They pushed iTunes when the rest of the world was using .WAV and .MP3 files freely. Apple's products locked you into THEIR formats of music files.

Then come the cables. Apple has had a habit of always selling you proprietary cables when there is no need to. It's money for nothing and I bet their chick are free too !

Apple PCs never interested me because their operating systems resulted in the need for software producers to develop special software versions to work on the Macs. Quite often a piece of software would not have a Mac version. It was the age old situation of VHS vs BETAMAX.
Stupid really. Apple should have just complied with the rest of the world free standards and just produced beautiful eye-catching products (which is where their skill lies). Instead they tried to impose their own standards on the world.

When Apple quit the silly proprietary crap, I'll become interested in their products. As it is, I have no Apple Macs, no iPods, no iPhones and no iPads.
I'm usually against propriety standards too - but think Apple's are worth it - they are usually better, either in terms of tech, or easy of use (such as the magsafe power connectors - they just 'snap' into place).

Btw, USB-C is said to an Apple invention, made open source to help with adoption rates.

Itunes is fine with MP3's

I used to think that about Mac software too - it's just not the case anymore, at least since the iPods, which is the point in where Mac user base grew significantly (this is when I bought my first Mac - having had similar reservations to yourself )

I would not go back to a PC now even if you paid me
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2015, 08:24 PM

Some interesting views out there it seems.

Seems like Marmite, love-hate relationship.

I've always loved the way Apple products look, with their sleek lines, purity and simplicity of design. Still, never been tempted to buy one simply because for me, they are aimed at dummies who don't want to be concerned with what's actually inside and what limitations the products are going to come with. I equate it to 2 people looking for a new car, 1 is interested in the engine size, fuel consumption, residual values, performance whilst the other sees a car and says "oooh look that's a pretty little pink car, Ill buy that one!". One of those 2 people will get royally ripped off.

Apple phones have built in obsolescence which means you'll be continually buying new models, very poor value for money.

iPads absolutely astound me !! They are like stepping back in time. A friend of mine had one and I had some PDF documents I wanted him to read. I popped a USB pen into my super netbook, copied the files and then passed it to him. He looked stupefied! Just pop it into the USB port I said. "There isn't one" he said ! WTH ! Are you for real ?! No USB port? How the hell do you get a document onto your iPad then ? "Oh well you'll have to email them all to me".

This is the stuff of Jeremy Beadle land. The industry for the past 10 years has developed more and better ways to move files around. It started with line of sight transmission between computers, then we had Bluetooth, then USB pens and USB drives. All great convenient ways to move files between computers. Apple in one giant leap backward takes iPad users back in time 10 years.

It doesn't stop there either. The funniest part for me, truly hilarious, is that they are only selling people 1/2 a computer, basically the screen and electronics. They miss out the vital keyboard, but wait . . . . You can buy that as an EXTRA !!

Jeez are people really this dumb ! A screen plus the electronics plus a keyboard, now what do we call that . . . . Oh I know! A LAPTOP !!! or a NETBOOK !!

You can buy a really useful Netbook for less than an iPad. It will come with a screen AND a keyboard so you can type properly for emails, documents, FB / Twitter posts etc. It will come with numerous USB ports so you can copy files from folders to USB devices either as a backup or to move to another computer. Ask an iPad user what a folder is and they'll look dumbfounded ! Ah "but look!" they will say, I can display my photos and watch this . . . I just drag my finger across the screen and it moves to the next picture, how cool is that ?!

Sigh.

This isn't the only example of uninformed masses being sold old technology. Sky were doing this years ago.

When the "magical" Sky+ boxes first came on the scene many people had no idea you could have a "video recorder" with a hard disk built in to record content and allow pausing of live TV and so on. The first Sky+ boxes were being shipped with 40GB hard disks I believe and only one built in tuner. At the same time other manufacturers had already been selling PVRs with dual tuners and 250GB hard drives for quite some time. Sky continued to ship out "old" technology with each generation and yet the masses happily sucked them up, paying their £40-£60 per month for the privilege ! Go figure !

I have nothing against providing simple technology for people who don't want to have to learn the ins and outs of computers, but if they are going to ship low-tech products then the price should be far less than higher tech. Unfortunately that's not the case and a lot of people have been getting ripped off for quite some time.

Apple - pretty products but usually less functionality and lesser hardware than other manufacturers products and sold for a far higher price. Not for me.
tyrell
South Eat England
tyrell is male  tyrell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2015, 05:34 AM

An Apple A Day keeps Windows at bay .
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2015, 07:33 AM

You're right - it's like Marmite. My stepson is an Hons graduate in IT and works in a top IT job and he would have nothing else but Macs and the good thing about that is he does all our fixing, installing, and updating for nothing.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top