Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2015, 03:06 PM

How to get rid of Pop-ups

Small grandson was looking for games on here at the weekend and I fear has pressed something he shouldn't. I'm getting annoying pop-ups and can't think how to get rid of them. I'm using Chrome. Would a System Restore help? And if so, where do I find that?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2015, 05:35 PM

Re: How to get rid of Pop-ups

i had that problem a few weeks ago and had my man call round. He downloaded a free(for 3 weeks) program called malwarebyte and ran a scan........problem solved.
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2015, 05:57 PM

Sweet sue. I think System restore may solve the problem.
If you are using windows 7 or those before, here is what you do....
Go to start at bottom left hand of computer. Then press ..All programmes. then Accessories. Then System Tools. Them System restore.
I hope this helps.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2015, 06:05 PM

I don't think a system restore would solve that problem, For safety I would do a scan and check for malware.
The grandson has downloaded something which needs removing.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2015, 07:54 PM

System restore won't help, you need something like malwarebyte to remove the programme. Been there a couple of times after others borrow my laptop.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2015, 08:39 PM

Thank you so much. I have Malwarebytes on my computer, ran a scan and have removed the nasties (I hope). Oh no!! While I was typing this another pop-up has just popped up in the corner of my screen. Where do I go from here folks? I am also getting odd words on the screen in blue double underlined - but this only seems to be happening on this site.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2015, 08:41 PM

Take care with those pops up Sue.

If your grandson has clicked on malware links then the popups may well be disguised as system messages. I've seen examples of this before with windows popping up saying they have detected viruses or malware and inviting you to press a button to do a scan etc. Needless to say DO NOT be tempted to click on any of the popups. In fact don't click anyware on the popups, not even the close X button at top right corner. Kill them off by running TaskManager (right click in status bar at bottom of screen). Select the applications tab, identify the line relating to the popup and click the End Task button.

I would try a System Restore in the first instance. It will restore your Windows system whilst leaving all your other data intact but you will lose any changes you have made to the Windows settings, for example any recent Favourites in your browser and so on.

If that doesn't work then you're going to have to get into virus checking, malware scanning and so on but that can often result in a host of other issues.

GL
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2015, 08:55 PM

I use both Malwarebytes and SuperantiSpyware and rarely have any issues
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2015, 09:17 PM

I got rid of Chrome and am now on Firefox. Clear your history it may or may not help. I'd only use system restore as a last resort.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2015, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetsue ->
Small grandson was looking for games on here at the weekend and I fear has pressed something he shouldn't. I'm getting annoying pop-ups and can't think how to get rid of them. I'm using Chrome. Would a System Restore help? And if so, where do I find that?
Have you set Chrome to block popups? that would be the first thing to check

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top