Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2015, 02:32 AM

Peeved with Ubuntu

I have mentioned elsewhere that when I travel I take a rather old Dell Mini 10 netbook which originally had WIN XP but now uses Ubuntu. Ubuntu was not the fastest operating system but taking into account the machine's age and its use it was perfectly acceptable.

A few days ago up I downloaded and installed the regular software updates, Whereas before it was slow as a wet weekend now a wet weekend would be positively stimulating. When I get back to OZ I am going to experiment with some of the other versions of Linux to see if they run faster. Suggestions?

One of the problems with this computer is that except for overseas travel it is not used so I don't really get familiar with it and I am far too old to be learning a new scripting language.

As William said , "Dam and blarst"
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2015, 11:25 AM

Re: Peeved with Ubuntu

I had bugger all to do this afternoon so I installed a Lightweight Desktop Environment which has speeded things up a bit but I also notice that a couple of things have changed with that last upgrade

The display thinks it is 4:3 when it is 19:9 (and it will not be changed) and it locks up when the lid is closed. I wonder if the video driver has been erased?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2015, 11:30 AM

Hope you get it sorted Bruce can't offer any help I am afraid all gobble de goop to me - windows is all I know.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2015, 11:43 AM

Ubuntu???

Not a word I know-and Vee only speaks English and Shona.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2015, 11:45 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shona_language
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2015, 02:14 PM

The first thing I do with a new computer is to stop updates and downloads. I just get used to the way everything works and then it all changes, and as the computer gets older it just gets snarled up and runs slow as it's less able to handle new updates that have been designed for newer and more capable computers. Like you Bruce, I like things to stay as I left them, otherwise the hour that you allowed to surf 'OFF' ends up being an hour of trying to understand what the hell happened..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2015, 02:52 PM

I thought (and may well be wrong) that updates often include patches for security to make browsing safer ? so stopping them leaves you more open to problems ?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

21-03-2015, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I thought (and may well be wrong) that updates often include patches for security to make browsing safer ? so stopping them leaves you more open to problems ?
Yes, that is right Julie, it is certainly unwise not to get all the latest updates for your operating system. Especially at the moment.

After making sure your firewall is on and your antivirus program is up to date geting operating system updates asap is the next most important measure for computer security. However sometimes it goes wrong
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

21-03-2015, 03:33 PM

Thanks Bruce, we always take the updates, sometimes it causes a few problems but not often enough to stop us trying to stay as safe as possible.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2015, 04:05 PM

There was so much security on my computer [Norton 360 etc] including updates supposedly tackling all the new viruses, that at times I could hardly get anything done. Between pop-up warnings and system checks nothing got in, and nothing got out. Firewalls and pop-up blockers stopped the downloading of material, and on some occasions it was running so slow I had to go and make a cup of tea while waiting. So frustrating.
So about two years ago, I deleted Norton 360 and anything else that warned me of impending doom, I also stopped the updates and downloads. And guess what happened?......Nothing, Zilch, Nienta. I've kept on the original windows firewall, I backup everything once a month, and never open anything I don't know where it came from. Okay, I can't guarantee I will stay trouble free forever, but you have to admit, two years of fast, warning free computing is longer than you would have though if you believe everything you hear. If I had renewed my subscription to Norton, I would have been over a hundred quid down now, and it still might not have stopped the bullet with your name on.
These companies have made millions off the back of your fears, and if truths known, it's them who put the fear in your head to start with.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top