Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2015, 04:07 PM

Re: Peeved with Ubuntu

I do a lot of shopping and banking on my laptop I wouldn't like to take the chance with no Norton and updates.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2015, 11:05 PM

I have always Used Internet banking Alice, had no trouble and banks have their own security in place, although I don't do a lot of shopping online. I just make sure when dealing with money that the address contains 'S' http/s it means it is a secure site. If you feel unsure Alice, keep the security.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2015, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
There was so much security on my computer [Norton 360 etc] including updates supposedly tackling all the new viruses, that at times I could hardly get anything done. Between pop-up warnings and system checks nothing got in, and nothing got out. Firewalls and pop-up blockers stopped the downloading of material, and on some occasions it was running so slow I had to go and make a cup of tea while waiting. So frustrating.
So about two years ago, I deleted Norton 360 and anything else that warned me of impending doom, I also stopped the updates and downloads. And guess what happened?......Nothing, Zilch, Nienta. I've kept on the original windows firewall, I backup everything once a month, and never open anything I don't know where it came from. Okay, I can't guarantee I will stay trouble free forever, but you have to admit, two years of fast, warning free computing is longer than you would have though if you believe everything you hear. If I had renewed my subscription to Norton, I would have been over a hundred quid down now, and it still might not have stopped the bullet with your name on.
These companies have made millions off the back of your fears, and if truths known, it's them who put the fear in your head to start with.
I agree with you about Nortons an overblown piece of bloatware. But with out any antivirus I think you are living dangerously. It might well be that the first you will know about it is when your ISP cuts you off for spamming.

The good thing about antivirus software is that it is free and set and forget. I ran a BBS in the 90s and know from experience that viruses and Trojans are a real threat. While I have some sympathy with your view that the threat is exaggerated it is none the less there and to have no protection in my view is foolhardy. It is like travel or house insurance, a total waste of money until you actually need it. Antivirus software is so simple to set up it seems silly not to bother.

It only happens a few times a year but my anti virus program warns me about a dodgy email or a web site that is trying to run a trojan. You will not get these warnings and will not know what software is running in the background on your machine now.

Your comment about the httpS is partially true but is is an encoding method agreed between your browser and the banks web site. A trojan running on your machine could easily intercept the information. Indeed that is the current panic about the FREAK flaw in browsers at the moment, encoded information to your bank is not safe until it is fixed and if you do not accept updates it will never be fixed
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2015, 11:19 PM

Thanks Bruce, good advice.
It's a bit like running after you have had a Heart Attack, people [mainly friends and loved ones] think I am stupid to continue running. I believe it is the best thing I can do.
And the fact I'm still here to argue my point is testament to it's success.
And so it is with some internet security. If I am suddenly absent from posting on this forum in the future, you were right Bruce, and I was wrong.
Incidently, I do have house and travel insurance, but again, doom and gloom is repeatedly administered by some insurance companies to frighten people into submission.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2015, 10:04 AM

I have tried various Linux-based operating systems over the years. Most recently Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Mint seemed the lighter of the two but I preferred Ubuntu. It just had a nicer feel to it and was almost Windows-like. However, I've put money into programs that run on Windows and many of them wouldn't run using Wine. Always go back to Windows in the end.

I think any Linux OS works well though. Browsing the Internet, office programs and e-mail all possible. Even some of the well-known games have Linux versions now. Definitely an alternative if not liking the way Windows is going.

@ OldGreyFox. I note you don't have any security programs running in realtime but do you run any on-demand scanners once in a while ..just to be sure the system hasn't picked up something nasty that may not be making its presence known?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

25-03-2015, 11:00 AM

@ OldGreyFox. I note you don't have any security programs running in realtime but do you run any on-demand scanners once in a while ..just to be sure the system hasn't picked up something nasty that may not be making its presence known?[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid I don't Mart, I'm not all that knowledgeable when it comes to security and operating systems. I know enough to do the things I like to do with computers, but I never turn my back to learning new and interesting things. I'm a bit of a 'If it aint' broke don't fix it sort of bloke' and believe that sometimes the medicine can be worse than the illness.

What's the worse that could happen? I backup my files on a regular basis, and if I had to reformat it would just be some extra work. And even if the computer was un-salvageable, it's a few years old now and could do with updating.

But running something like you describe might not be a bad idea, is their something you would recommend to an old stick in the mud like me?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2015, 11:05 AM

Malwarebytes would be a start.

But while you're at it why not download AVG Free or Avast free and install those, it is so simple. The only problem is that they will nag you to update your operating system

BTW the worst that can happen is not the loss of your data but what you spew out to your friends who will trust your emails for example or spread more generally clogging up the internet
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2015, 12:10 PM

I second that Bruce, I was on line friends with a lady a while ago we subsequently found she was not running a security programme, no damage it seemed to her computer but opening an email her computer sent to me cost me a lot of money as I had to take my machine to the computer shop to get it sorted out. It's not fair on people you communicate with not to keep them as safe as you can.

You can get free security too so doesn't have to cost a lot.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

25-03-2015, 03:36 PM

Thanks Bruce, I'll give it a try.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

25-03-2015, 03:43 PM

BTW only install one anti virus software if you do decide to. Two does not work twice as well in fact will slow down your machine as they struggle with each other.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top